Why Are My Strain Values Displayed Incorrectly on the X-Axis in Excel?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to plot a stress-strain diagram using tabulated data, but is having difficulty figuring out how to calculate the slope of the graph.
Saladsamurai
I am trying to plot s stress-strain diagram using the tabulated data in the accompanying diagram below.
Picture1-15.png

Now, notice that the values of strain (which will go on the x-axis) are very low--they range from 0.00001 to 0.23.

Now look at the graph ("I used an x-y scatter" with stress column as the Y data and strain as the X data) and you can see that the x-axis values are huge! (They range to 5500!)

Picture2-9.png

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Really...no one knows how to use excel?

Casey, I can't see you graphs. Can you insert them in a post instead (my company blocks the site that hosts the links).

CS

I got it. But I have another quick question. If I have my stress-strain data plotted and I want to find approximate values of where the proportional yield is, i.e., where the graph stops being 'linear', is there a way to calculate that with excel rather than "eyeballing it" using the curve?

Saladsamurai said:
I got it. But I have another quick question. If I have my stress-strain data plotted and I want to find approximate values of where the proportional yield is, i.e., where the graph stops being 'linear', is there a way to calculate that with excel rather than "eyeballing it" using the curve?

I believe you can calculate the slope (based off of your table values) which should be constant over the linear portion. Then, when the slope deviates you'll be in the non-linear region.

CS

Right, but how can I efficiently find where it deviates? I have 5600 values for each substance.

Saladsamurai said:
Right, but how can I efficiently find where it deviates? I have 5600 values for each substance.

I'm not sure if Excel has a function for that. You would have to approximate where the non-linearity ends and use the SLOPE function to calculate it the slope over that region. I can't think of anything else at the moment. Do you have the data set in Excel already? If so, zip it and attach it and I'll see if I can find a function that might work.

CS

Thanks stewart. I just approximated it using the graph. I am pretty sure that is what he wants us to do... I was just being a.r. :)

Here's another one though!: If I am to find out how much WORK is done on a specimen up until the proportional limit (through the elastic region) how would I do that?

I know that [itex]W=\int F(x)dx[/itex] But how would I find out what F(x) is? It cannot be constant.

I know it is in the elastic region. So it must satisfy Hooke's Law. So I know that

[itex]F(x)=ax+c[/itex] and I have plenty of data... so I guess I DO have F(x)...

Just one thing though. Is it F(x)=ax+c or F(x)=-ax+c

Thanks for your help too!

Saladsamurai said:
Thanks stewart. I just approximated it using the graph. I am pretty sure that is what he wants us to do... I was just being a.r. :)

Here's another one though!: If I am to find out how much WORK is done on a specimen up until the proportional limit (through the elastic region) how would I do that?

I know that [itex]W=\int F(x)dx[/itex] But how would I find out what F(x) is? It cannot be constant.

I know it is in the elastic region. So it must satisfy Hooke's Law. So I know that

[itex]F(x)=ax+c[/itex] and I have plenty of data... so I guess I DO have F(x)...

Just one thing though. Is it F(x)=ax+c or F(x)=-ax+c

Thanks for your help too!

Since you have the stress and strain data the work will be equal to the area under the curve (in the elastic region). Take a look at your graph in the elastic region, it should look like a triangle. Then finding the area of the triangle is trivial. Alternatively, Hooke's law would apply to the elastic region and after integrating you would have W = 1/2*k*x^2.

Hope this helps.

CS

1. How can I quickly calculate sums or averages in Excel?

To calculate sums or averages in Excel, you can use the SUM or AVERAGE functions. Simply select the cells you want to include in the calculation and type "=SUM(" or "=AVERAGE(" followed by the cell range. For example, "=SUM(A1:A10)" would calculate the sum of cells A1 to A10.

2. How do I format cells in Excel?

To format cells in Excel, select the cells you want to format and then click on the "Home" tab. From there, you can use the various formatting options in the "Number" and "Font" sections to change the appearance of the cells.

3. Can I create charts or graphs in Excel?

Yes, Excel has a variety of chart and graph options to visually represent your data. To create a chart or graph, select the data you want to include and then click on the "Insert" tab. From there, you can choose from different chart types and customize the appearance.

4. How can I filter or sort my data in Excel?

To filter or sort your data in Excel, select all of your data and then click on the "Data" tab. From there, you can use the "Sort" or "Filter" options to rearrange or narrow down your data based on specific criteria.

5. Is it possible to perform calculations on multiple worksheets in Excel?

Yes, you can perform calculations on multiple worksheets in Excel by using cell references. For example, if you have a formula in cell A1 on Sheet1 that references cell B1 on Sheet2, the calculation will take into account the data in both cells. You can also use functions like SUM or AVERAGE across multiple worksheets.