How Does KMnO4 Oxidize Toluene to Benzoic Acid?

• Thread starter cuti_pie75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the conversation is discussing the mechanism of the oxidation of toluene with KMnO4 to produce benzoic acid. The problem is figuring out how exactly the MnO4 attacks the hydrogen on the aliphatic chain. It is suggested that either radicalic or cationic species form in this process, and it is determined that the first step is a hydrogen atom abstraction to give a benzyl radical. The oxidation from the alcohol to the acid is a simpler process and does not involve radicals.
cuti_pie75
Hi,

It's been quite some time now I've spent on figuring out the mecanism of the oxydation of toluene with KMnO4 to give benzoic acid. My problem is i don't know how exactly the MnO4 attacks the hydrogen on the aliphatic chain. So, if anyone can help me figure out the first steps of which O on MnO4 will attack, that'll be great! :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello

In this process, either radicalic or cationic species form, as seen in a closely related reaction:

[tex]Ar_2CH_2+CrO_3\longrightarrow Ar_2C=O[/tex]
[tex]rate~determining~step:Ar_2CH_2 \longrightarrow Ar_2CH \cdot ~or~Ar_2CH_2 \longrightarrow Ar_2CH^+[/tex]

I'm certain about a benzyl cation or benzyl radical will be produced in this reaction you're asking about.

I think chem_tr is right. The first step is a hydrogen atom abstraction (that is, a proton plus an electron) to give a benzyl radical. That can then combine with a water molecule (water is typically the solvent for these oxidations) to give benzyl alcohol. The oxidation from the alcohol to the acid is much more straight forward and probably doesn't involve radicals.

1. What is oxidation?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which a substance loses electrons and increases in positive charge. This often involves the addition of oxygen or the loss of hydrogen.

2. How does oxidation occur?

Oxidation occurs when a substance is exposed to oxygen or other oxidizing agents such as chlorine or fluorine. It can also occur through the transfer of electrons between molecules.

3. What is the role of oxidation in everyday life?

Oxidation plays a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as rusting of metal, digestion of food, and production of energy in our cells through cellular respiration.

4. How does oxidation affect the environment?

Oxidation can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, it helps break down pollutants and decompose organic matter. However, it can also contribute to air and water pollution through the formation of harmful oxidized compounds.

5. Can oxidation be reversed?

In some cases, oxidation can be reversed through a reduction reaction, where the substance gains electrons and decreases in positive charge. This is commonly seen in the use of antioxidants in food and skincare products to prevent oxidation and spoilage.