Please help with this Differential equation problem

In summary: If you did, you would have seen the equation (17) in the first link and equation (8) in the second link. Both of these equations are of the form ##y_p = Axe^{4x}##. The reason for this is because the right hand side of your original equation contains a term ##2e^{4x}##, which is already a solution to the homogeneous equation. Hence, using the same form for ##y_p## will not work. You need to multiply by ##x## so that the term ##2## does not cancel out when you differentiate.
Ric-Veda

Homework Statement

y''-16y=2e^4x. Find general solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the homogenous equation which is c1e^-4x+c2e^4x, but I'm trying to find the particular solution for 2e^4x. I did yp=ae^4x, yp'=4ae^4x, yp''=16ae^4x, then plugged it into the equation, then got 0=2e^4x. What am I doing wrong. And I don't understand how 2e^4x becomes ae^4x

Physics news on Phys.org
Ric-Veda said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have the homogenous equation which is c1e^-4x+c2e^4x, but I'm trying to find the particular solution for 2e^4x. I did yp=ae^4x, yp'=4ae^4x, yp''=16ae^4x, then plugged it into the equation, then got 0=2e^4x. What am I doing wrong. And I don't understand how 2e^4x becomes ae^4x

Use the method of undermined coefficients; see, eg.,
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/UndeterminedCoefficients.aspx
or
http://www.math.psu.edu/tseng/class/Math251/Notes-2nd%20order%20ODE%20pt2.pdf

Ric-Veda said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Since ##e^{4x}## is a solution to the homogeneous equation, of course trying ##y_p = ae^{4x}## is going to give you ##0##. Try ##y_p = Axe^{4x}##.

LCKurtz said:
Since ##e^{4x}## is a solution to the homogeneous equation, of course trying ##y_p = ae^{4x}## is going to give you ##0##. Try ##y_p = Axe^{4x}##.
But I need to know why instead of using yp=ae^4x, you have to use yp=axe^4x (sorry, the template to write the equation like you did is very complicated for me)

My professor did not go in dept. I just know know:
if a constant: yp=A

if x: yp=Ax+B

if x^2: yp=Ax^2+Bx+C

if cos(x) or sin(x): yp=Acos(x)+Asin(x)

if e^x: yp=Ae^x

Or something like that?

You have been suggested to look at the method of undetermined coefficients above. Another more organized way is to use the method of annihilators, which involves less guesswork. Lots of info on the internet. One source is
http://dankalman.net/AUhome/classes/classesF12/odes/assignments/annihilatormethod.pdf

Ric-Veda said:
My professor did not go in dept. I just know know:
if a constant:

if cos(x) or sin(x): yp=Acos(x)+Asin(x)

if e^x: yp=Ae^x

Or something like that?
These are valid only, if the the right side is not solution of the homogeneous equation. If it is, you have to include the factor x, in order that you do not get zero on the right side when you substitute the particular solution.

upload_2017-1-22_5-34-12.png

Last edited:
Ric-Veda said:
But I need to know why instead of using yp=ae^4x, you have to use yp=axe^4x (sorry, the template to write the equation like you did is very complicated for me)

Have you looked at the links I supplied in post #2?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space, based on the rate of change at any given point.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they help us model and understand complex systems in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They also have many real-world applications, such as predicting population growth or analyzing electrical circuits.

3. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. In general, the steps include identifying the type of differential equation, finding its general solution, applying initial or boundary conditions, and obtaining the particular solution.

4. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and power series. Other techniques, such as Laplace transforms, numerical methods, and computer simulations, may also be used depending on the complexity of the equation.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

To improve your skills in solving differential equations, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and understanding of the properties of differential equations. Practice is also crucial, so solving a variety of problems and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor can be beneficial.