Please tell me how to solve these

• Thread starter fahd
  • Start date
In summary, Balakrishnan is trying to solve problems 2, 3, and 5 using planar polar coordinates but is getting the time value to be 1/K^0.5. He also doesn't know how to go about 3(b) and 5.
fahd
please tell me how to solve these!

hi there.i really want someone to help me with questions 2,3 and 5
in the attached document.

i am really stuck.I tried solving question 2 using planar polar coordinates..and tried to get the given time value for the angle set at 45..however i am getiing the time to be 1/K^0.5

Also i seriously don't know how to go about 3(b)...and 5.can u please guide me.this is a practise sheet for the exams.And i want to get good grades!PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 410
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
For problem 2,the position vector is given by
[tex]p(t)=a \left(Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)[/tex]

if the center is the origin and the line joining the center and the starting point is the x-axis

Now

[tex]\frac{dp(t)}{dt}=kt \left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)=kt \vec{u}[/tex]
where
[tex]\vec{u}=\left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)[/tex]
is a unit vector
and
[tex]\frac{d^{2}p(t)}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{k^2 t^2}{a}\left(Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right)+k \left(-Sin(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{i}+Cos(\frac{kt^2}{2a}) \vec{j}\right) =-\frac{k^2 t^2}{a} \vec{v} +k \vec{u}[/tex]

It can be seen that u and v are othogonal and velocity vector is along u
Hence for 45 we need the components along u and v to be equal in magnitude

ie

[tex]\frac{k^2 t^2}{a}=k[/tex]
or
[tex]t=\sqrt{\frac{a}{k}}[/tex]

For problem 3

acceleration of rim along horizontal wrt center is [tex]\alpha R=a[/tex]
along vertical it is [tex]\frac{v^2}{R_0}[/tex]

hence the net acceleration is the vector sum of both
which is [tex]\sqrt{a^2+\frac{v^4}{R_0^2}}[/tex]

For the next case, the position vector is given by

[tex]p(t)=(0.5 a_0 t^2+bt+c)\vec{i}+R(Sin(\theta) \vec{i}+Cos(\theta) \vec{j})[/tex]

Differentiating twice we get the acceleration which comess to be
[tex](a+a Cos\theta-\frac{v^2}{R} Sin\theta) \vec{i} -(a Sin\theta+\frac{v^2}{R} Cos\theta) \vec{j} [/tex]

whose magnitude is

[tex]a_0 \sqrt{2+\frac{v^4}{a_0^2R_0^2}+2Cos(\theta)-2\frac{v^2 }{R_0 a_0}Sin(\theta)}[/tex]

For the last problem you put
[tex]\vec{e_u}=Cos(\theta) \vec{i} +Sin(\theta) \vec{j}[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{e_v}=-Sin(\theta) \vec{i} +Cos(\theta) \vec{j}[/tex]

So we get
[tex]\frac{d\hat{e_u}}{dt}=\hat{e_v} \frac{u\dot{v}-v\dot{u}}{2\sqrt{uv} (u+v)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\hat{e_v}}{dt}=\hat{e_u} \frac{v\dot{u}-u\dot{v}}{2\sqrt{uv} (u+v)}[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks...

thanks a bunch balakrishnan
ill definitely compare and see where i went wrong!

1. How do I approach problem-solving in a scientific manner?

To solve a problem in a scientific manner, you should follow the scientific method, which includes identifying the problem, conducting research, creating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice regularly, break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, think critically and creatively, and seek feedback and advice from others.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems include jumping to conclusions without enough evidence, ignoring alternative solutions, not considering all variables, and not being open to new ideas.

4. How do I know if my solution to a problem is valid?

To determine if your solution is valid, you should evaluate it based on whether it addresses the problem, is supported by evidence and data, and is logical and feasible to implement.

5. How can I effectively communicate my problem-solving process and solution to others?

To effectively communicate your problem-solving process and solution, you should use clear and concise language, provide visual aids or diagrams if necessary, and be open to questions and feedback from others.