1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Plugging EOM into Lagrangian

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    I know that in general plugging the EOM into the Lagrangian is tricky, but it should be perfectly valid if done correctly. Can someone help me see what I'm doing wrong here? I know I'm doing something dumb but I've been staring at it for too long

Start with the E&M Lagrangian:
    [itex]L = -\dfrac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} - J^\mu A_\mu[/itex]
    which gives the EOM
    [itex]\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu} = -J^\mu[/itex]
    Plugging this back into the Lagrangian
    [itex]L = -\dfrac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} + A_\mu\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu}[/itex]
    [itex]A_\mu\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu} = -\partial_\nu A_\mu F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] + total derivative
    [itex]= \dfrac{1}{2}F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] + total derivative
    from which we find
    [itex]L \equiv \dfrac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/itex]
    which is just the negative free-field Lagrangian...

I would have expected those two terms to exactly cancel, leaving just the total derivative, but no matter how I look at it I'm off by a factor of 2.. If you plug the sole EOM back into the Lagrangian, you would expect the result to be a trivial action right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you expect to be the result of plugging the equations of motion back into the Lagrangian. You're guaranteed to get something that has the same numerical value as the original Lagrangian, but it's not just the value of the Lagrangian that is important, but also its dependence on its arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted