What is the expected result of plugging equations of motion into the Lagrangian?

In summary, plugging the equations of motion into the Lagrangian is tricky and requires careful consideration to ensure it is done correctly.
michael879
I know that in general plugging the EOM into the Lagrangian is tricky, but it should be perfectly valid if done correctly. Can someone help me see what I'm doing wrong here? I know I'm doing something dumb but I've been staring at it for too long

Start with the E&M Lagrangian:
[itex]L = -\dfrac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} - J^\mu A_\mu[/itex]
which gives the EOM
[itex]\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu} = -J^\mu[/itex]
Plugging this back into the Lagrangian
[itex]L = -\dfrac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} + A_\mu\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu}[/itex]
[itex]A_\mu\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu} = -\partial_\nu A_\mu F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] + total derivative
[itex]= \dfrac{1}{2}F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] + total derivative
from which we find
[itex]L \equiv \dfrac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/itex]
which is just the negative free-field Lagrangian...

I would have expected those two terms to exactly cancel, leaving just the total derivative, but no matter how I look at it I'm off by a factor of 2.. If you plug the sole EOM back into the Lagrangian, you would expect the result to be a trivial action right?

Physics news on Phys.org
michael879 said:
I know that in general plugging the EOM into the Lagrangian is tricky, but it should be perfectly valid if done correctly. Can someone help me see what I'm doing wrong here? I know I'm doing something dumb but I've been staring at it for too long

I'm not sure what you expect to be the result of plugging the equations of motion back into the Lagrangian. You're guaranteed to get something that has the same numerical value as the original Lagrangian, but it's not just the value of the Lagrangian that is important, but also its dependence on its arguments.

1. What is the purpose of plugging EOM into Lagrangian?

The purpose of plugging the equations of motion (EOM) into the Lagrangian is to simplify and combine the equations of motion into a single equation that describes the dynamics of a system. This allows for a more elegant and efficient way of solving complex physical problems.

2. How is the Lagrangian used in this process?

The Lagrangian is a function that describes the kinetic and potential energy of a system. By plugging the EOM into this function, we can derive the equations of motion and describe the behavior of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using this method?

One of the main advantages of using this method is that it allows for a generalized approach to solving physical problems. It also simplifies the equations of motion and reduces the number of variables needed to describe the system, making it easier to solve complex problems.

4. Are there any limitations to this method?

This method may not be suitable for all physical systems, particularly those with non-conservative forces or highly nonlinear dynamics. In some cases, the equations of motion may become too complex to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods instead.

5. Can this method be applied to any type of system?

Yes, the method of plugging EOM into Lagrangian can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of complex systems and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering.