PM Synchronous motor Id-Iq current control

In summary: Once you have a good signal from the root, you can start worrying about the accuracy of the rotor-fixed reference frame.
awaiting
Hi everyone,

I am trying to implement the current control (Id, Iq) of a four pole PM synchronous motor. I am having trouble in making the Iq current follow a set reference.

115622d1426715693t-pi.jpg

I had also implemented a cascaded speed control for a dc motor.

115621d1426715561t-cascaded.jpg

In that case, I adjusted the gains of the PI controller (inner loop/current loop) by stalling the motor and checked if the motor current followed the set reference current. It worked in this way for the dc motor. I thought of doing the same way for Iq but I am not getting the expected results.

In delta configuration of the stator, if I make the integral gain to be zero, the motor does not rotate. The motor starts rotating if I increase the integral gain to 1 and the speed increases as I increase the integral gain and reaches the maximum value depending upon the supply voltage.
If I stall the motor at different speeds, I get different values of Iq, say for 30 rad/s I have a current of 30mA and 60 rad/s, it is 50mA.
The motor current (Iq) is not following the reference current for any change I am making in the Kp and Ki values

Is there any other approach to achieve the PI control for both the currents?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your images can only be viewed with an edaboard account.

Sorry about that!
Should have checked the links after posting them..anyways they are below..

Fig 1

upload_2015-3-22_13-27-36.jpeg

Fig 2

upload_2015-3-22_13-28-0.jpeg

Have you checked that the basics of your system work, e.g. making sure you can produce a current vector in the stator-fixed reference frame (αβ-components) that follows some reference? If that works, then you can start worrying about the rotor-fixed reference frame.

In general, if you represent your system as a hierarchy of components, you start at the root, test it through and through, and then you can start building atop of it. In your case, the root could be a sampling system, with the reference-frame transformations built atop of it.

1. What is PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control?

PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control is a method of controlling the current in a permanent magnet synchronous motor by adjusting the direct (Id) and quadrature (Iq) components of the current. This control method is often used in high-performance industrial applications to achieve precise and efficient motor operation.

2. How does PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control work?

PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control works by using a control algorithm to adjust the Id and Iq currents in the motor. The control algorithm measures the motor speed and position and then calculates the required Id and Iq currents to achieve the desired motor performance. These currents are then applied to the motor through a power electronic converter.

3. What are the advantages of using PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control?

There are several advantages to using PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control, including improved motor efficiency, precise speed and torque control, and reduced motor heating. This control method also allows for smooth and accurate motor operation, making it ideal for applications that require high precision and performance.

4. What types of applications are best suited for PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control?

PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control is often used in high-performance industrial applications, such as robotics, machine tools, and electric vehicles. It is also commonly used in applications that require precise and efficient motor control, such as pumps, compressors, and fans.

5. Are there any limitations to using PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control?

While PM synchronous motor Id-Iq current control offers many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. This control method can be more complex and expensive to implement compared to other control methods. It also requires accurate motor parameter measurements and may not be suitable for low-power applications.