1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson Distribution homework

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An actuary has discovered that policyholders are three times as likely to file two claims as to file four claims. If the number of claims filed has a Poisson distribution, what is the variance of the number of claims filed?

2. Relevant equations[/]
    P(x)=e^(-lamda)*(lamda^x)/x! Var(x)=lamda

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that P(2)=3P(4) and that P(2)=e^(-lamda)*(lamda^2)/2 and that P(4)=e^(-lamda)*(lamda^4)/4! So I set these equal to find lamda and that is the variance. The solution given to me is P(2)=e^(lamda)*(lamda^2)/2=3*e^(-lamda)*(lamda^4)/4!=3*P(4)*24*lamda^2=6*lamda^4 I don't understand the last two equalities. Any help? where do the 24*lamda^2 comefrom and how do they get 6*lamda^4?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2
    Is this a typo? if so how would I go about solving the problem using the method I've started? or any other way?
    Thanks

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From the given information,
    [tex]P(2) = \frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^2}{2!} = 3P(4) = 3\frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^4}{4!} [/tex]
    From this, we get
    [tex]\frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^2}{2} = 3\frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^4}{24}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]\frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^2}{2} = \frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^4}{8}[/tex]
    or
    [tex]4e^{-\lambda}\lambda^2} = e^{-\lambda}\lambda^4}[/tex]
    That works out to [itex]4\lambda^2 = \lambda^4[/itex]
    Can you take it from there?

BTW, the name of this Greek letter is lambda.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook