Length of Polar Arc: 0 to 2π

In summary: Thank you very much :!!:In summary, the integral in question involves the length of a curve and can be solved by using a clever substitution and integration by parts. However, it is important to consider the behavior of the function and the limits of integration in order to get an accurate result. In this case, the cos(theta)^2 term changes signs within the given range, so it is necessary to break the integral into two parts and add the absolute values to get the correct answer.
johndoe

Homework Statement

Find the length pf the curve over the given interval.
[tex] r=1+\sin\theta [/tex]
[tex] 0\preceq\theta\preceq\2\pi [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I set it up as:
[tex] 2\pi[/tex]
[tex]\int\sqrt((1+\sin\theta)^2+cos^2\theta) [/tex]

and by simplifying and integrating, I get

[tex]2\pi [/tex]
[tex] -2\sqrt2[\sqrt(1-\sin\theta)] [/tex]
[tex] -2\sqrt2[(1-0)-(1-0)] =0 [/tex]

and obviously it is wrong,

I check the solution it has the same everything but the range ,
it obviously broke down the whole length into 2 times 1 piece from [tex] \pi/2 to 3\pi/2 [/tex] and the answer is 8

My question is why I get zero within my range, and why broke it down into the range above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might wish to elaborate about how you got that integral. It's not what I get. You want to do the integral using a double angle formula to write the integrand as a perfect square. It also may help to shift the limits of integration by using sin(x+pi/2)=cos(x). You should also remember that sqrt(x^2)=abs(x) for any expression x. So to integrate something like that you'll need to break into regions where 'x' is positive.

Dick said:
You might wish to elaborate about how you got that integral. It's not what I get. You want to do the integral using a double angle formula to write the integrand as a perfect square. It also may help to shift the limits of integration by using sin(x+pi/2)=cos(x). You should also remember that sqrt(x^2)=abs(x) for any expression x. So to integrate something like that you'll need to break into regions where 'x' is positive.

There is some mistake on my first post but anyway I integrate it like this: (ignore the limits for the moment)

[tex] \int\sqrt((1+\sin\theta)^2+cos^2\theta) [/tex]

= [tex] \sqrt2 \int\sqrt((1+\sin\theta) [/tex]

= [tex] \sqrt2 \int \frac{\cos\theta}{\sqrt(1-\sin\theta)} [/tex]
(multiply up and down by [tex] \sqrt(1-\sin\theta) [/tex]

= [tex] 2\sqrt2 [ \sqrt((1-\sin\theta)][/tex] (by substitution)

which if I use the limit [tex] \pi/2 [/tex] to [tex] 3\pi/2 [/tex] and times 2
I get the answer, by I still don't understand what decision it based on setting the limits:uhh:,
I also tried from 0 to pi and times 2 and it came out to be zero :yuck:, also when I trace on the calculator ( [tex] \pi/2 [/tex] to [tex] 3\pi/2 [/tex])the x's are all -ve :uhh: clue?

So yes why the selected limits :confused: Also it will be great if you can demonstrate me a different way of integrating it and what do you mean by to shift the limits of integration by using sin(x+pi/2)=cos(x) :smile:

Thanks a million~

Last edited:
Ok wait I am up to something, it is because of the behaviour of the sin curve ?

for not getting zero I have to use that certain limit? :rofl:

http://hk.geocities.com/ymtsang2606/sin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
johndoe said:
There is some mistake on my first post but anyway I integrate it like this: (ignore the limits for the moment)

= [tex] 2\sqrt2 \int \sqrt((1-\sin\theta)[/tex] (by substitution)

I get the answer, by I still don't understand what decision it based on setting the limits:uhh:,
I also tried from 0 to pi and times 2 and it came out to be zero :yuck:, also when I trace on the calculator ( [tex] \pi/2 [/tex] to [tex] 3\pi/2 [/tex])the x's are all -ve :uhh: clue?

So yes why the selected limits :confused: Also it will be great if you can demonstrate me a different way of integrating it and what do you mean by to shift the limits of integration by using sin(x+pi/2)=cos(x) :smile:

Thanks a million~

That's a clever trick. But it's hiding something from you. sqrt(cos(theta)^2)=abs(cos(theta)). As theta goes from 0 to pi, cos changes sign. Integrate from 0 to pi/2, then from pi/2 to pi and add the absolute values.

Dick said:
That's a clever trick. But it's hiding something from you. sqrt(cos(theta)^2)=abs(cos(theta)). As theta goes from 0 to pi, cos changes sign. Integrate from 0 to pi/2, then from pi/2 to pi and add the absolute values.

How do u get to sqrt(cos(theta)^2)?

sqrt(1-sin(theta))*sqrt(1+sin(theta))=sqrt((1-sin(theta))*(1+sin(theta))=
sqrt(1-sin(theta)^2)=sqrt(cos(theta)^2). Isn't that what you did?

= [tex] \sqrt2 \int\sqrt((1+\sin\theta) [/tex] (then I multiply up and down by [tex] \sqrt(1-\sin\theta) [/tex] ) <-- do u mean the sqrt cos^2theta on the top after multiplying?

= [tex] 2\sqrt2[\sqrt((1-\sin\theta)] [/tex]

Yes, I mean the cos(theta)^2 on the top under the square root.

Dick said:
Yes, I mean the cos(theta)^2 on the top under the square root.

Ok I get it now, so when you integrate you must make sure that the signs of the function would not change through out the limit range , cause otherwise they will offset each other, and given this case :[tex] \sqrt2 \int \frac{\cos\theta}{\sqrt(1-\sin\theta)} [/tex]

the sqrtcos^2theta on the numerator change signs with the range 0 to pi so you have to break it down into two parts and integrate, while sin doen't change signs in the denominator within 0 to pi so it doen't matter.

johndoe said:

= [tex] 2\sqrt2 \int \sqrt((1-\sin\theta)[/tex] (by substitution)

Thanks a million~
There's a superfluous integral sign in that post (the last line, where you've already performed the integration)... sorry to nitpick, but it might be confusing for those who are first signing on.

1. What does the length of polar arc from 0 to 2π represent?

The length of polar arc from 0 to 2π represents the distance along a polar curve from the starting point (θ = 0) to the end point (θ = 2π) in a counterclockwise direction.

2. How is the length of polar arc calculated?

The length of polar arc can be calculated using the formula L = ∫√(r² + (dr/dθ)²)dθ, where r is the polar equation and dr/dθ is the derivative of r with respect to θ.

3. Can the length of polar arc be negative?

No, the length of polar arc cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance and distance cannot be negative.

4. Does the length of polar arc depend on the direction of rotation?

Yes, the length of polar arc will change if the direction of rotation is changed. For example, if the polar curve is traced in a clockwise direction, the length of polar arc will be negative.

5. How is the length of polar arc related to the circumference of a circle?

The length of polar arc from 0 to 2π is equal to the circumference of a circle with radius r, where r is the distance from the origin to any point on the polar curve. This can be seen by converting the polar curve to Cartesian coordinates and then using the formula for circumference of a circle, C = 2πr.