Finding Area of Lemniscate: TI 83 Plus Calculator

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area inside a lemniscate using the equation r^2 = 2a^2 cos(2theta), where a>0. The person is struggling to graph the equation in polar mode on a TI 83 plus calculator and is asking for help with finding the interval. They are advised to use sample points and the knowledge of the cosine function to graph the equation without a calculator, but are also given instructions for using the calculator if needed.
jacy
Hi
I am trying to find the area inside the lemniscate

r^2 = 2a^2 cos(2theta) a>0

I am having trouble graphing this in the calculator. I am in the polar mode. The a^2 is giving me problem. I am using TI 83 plus. Also i need the interval, for the above function. Please help, thank you. Once i have the interval i can find the area using

Surface Area = Integral (lower interval, upper interval) r^2 d(theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the problem specifically asks you to use a calculator to graph the region, you shouldn't need one for this.
Graph some sample points using what you know about the cosine function and how cosine behaves in polar coordinates. If you still want the calculator, use it to graph the equation for a=1. 'a' is just a scalar you can easily incoporate into your interval if necessary.

hypermorphism said:
Unless the problem specifically asks you to use a calculator to graph the region, you shouldn't need one for this.
Graph some sample points using what you know about the cosine function and how cosine behaves in polar coordinates. If you still want the calculator, use it to graph the equation for a=1. 'a' is just a scalar you can easily incoporate into your interval if necessary.

Thanks for the reply. But how can i find the interval.

1. How do I find the area of a lemniscate using a TI 83 Plus calculator?

To find the area of a lemniscate on a TI 83 Plus calculator, you will need to use the built-in "fnInt" function. This function allows you to calculate the area under a curve, which can be used to find the area of a lemniscate.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a lemniscate?

The formula for finding the area of a lemniscate is A = 2πa2, where "a" is the length of the semi-major axis. This formula can also be written as A = πr2, where "r" is the distance from the center of the lemniscate to any point on the curve.

3. Can I use the TI 83 Plus calculator to find the area of any lemniscate?

Yes, the TI 83 Plus calculator can be used to find the area of any lemniscate as long as the equation of the lemniscate is known. The calculator can handle equations with multiple variables and constants, making it suitable for finding the area of any lemniscate.

4. Can I find the area of a lemniscate without using a calculator?

Yes, you can find the area of a lemniscate without using a calculator by using the formula A = 2πa2 or A = πr2 and manually calculating the values. However, using a calculator can save time and reduce the chances of errors in the calculation.

5. How accurate are the area calculations using a TI 83 Plus calculator?

The accuracy of the area calculation using a TI 83 Plus calculator depends on the accuracy of the input values and the precision of the calculator. The calculator can handle up to 14 digits of precision, which should provide a fairly accurate result. However, it is always recommended to double-check the calculation and round off the final answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.