Polar Representation of Sinusoidal Functions

In summary, the polar representation of sinusoidal functions is a concise way of describing a function in terms of its amplitude, frequency, and phase. It differs from the rectangular representation by including the imaginary component, making it more convenient for working with complex numbers. The amplitude and frequency in the polar representation are inversely proportional, with a relationship governed by the formula A = 1/ω. This representation can be used to solve real-world problems and is closely related to the polar coordinates system.
StrongForce

Homework Statement

What would the geometric explanation of exp(-i*x) be?

Homework Equations

Exp(-i*x), i being (-1)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure this is just a circle, created clockwise? Just want to check.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of [tex]e^{-i\,x}[/tex] is 1, so it represents a unit circle with center [tex](0,0)[/tex].

If x varies on [tex][0,2\,pi)[/tex] the circle is created clockwise.

What is the polar representation of sinusoidal functions?

The polar representation of sinusoidal functions is a way of describing a sinusoidal function in terms of its amplitude, frequency, and phase. It represents the function as a complex number in the form A(cos(ωt + φ) + i sin(ωt + φ)), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How is the polar representation of sinusoidal functions different from the rectangular representation?

The rectangular representation of a sinusoidal function is in the form y = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude and φ is the phase angle. The polar representation adds the imaginary component (i sin(ωt + φ)) to represent the function as a complex number. This allows for a more concise and convenient way of representing sinusoidal functions, particularly when working with complex numbers.

What is the relationship between the amplitude and frequency in the polar representation of sinusoidal functions?

The amplitude and frequency in the polar representation of sinusoidal functions are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is governed by the formula A = 1/ω, where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.

Can the polar representation of sinusoidal functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the polar representation of sinusoidal functions can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for a more efficient and accurate way of representing and analyzing sinusoidal functions, which are commonly found in natural phenomena and man-made systems.

How is the polar representation of sinusoidal functions related to the polar coordinates system?

The polar representation of sinusoidal functions is closely related to the polar coordinates system. In fact, the polar representation can also be thought of as a way of expressing a point in the polar coordinates system, with the amplitude being the distance from the origin and the phase angle being the angle from the positive x-axis.