Polarizability Tensor (Local Field Effects) - the Adler-Wiser formula

In summary, the Polarizability Tensor is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe a material's response to an electric field. It is a second-order tensor that relates the induced electric dipole moment to the applied electric field. Local Field Effects can cause deviations from the ideal behavior predicted by the tensor. The Adler-Wiser formula describes the relationship between the tensor and the dielectric response, considering both local field effects and material anisotropy. The Polarizability Tensor is important for understanding material properties and developing technologies. It can be calculated using quantum mechanical methods that consider the material's electronic structure and interactions with the electric field.
Final ansatz
Hi everyone,

So, I've been trying to derive a general form for momentum Fourier transform of the polarizability [itex]\chi(\mathbf{r}t,\mathbf{r}'t')[/itex] for a crystalline material, i.e. a material with a Bravais lattice. Since the material is not translationally invariant, it won't be enough with just one momentum Fourier transform, and in general I should transform in both [itex]\mathbf{r}\rightarrow\mathbf{q}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{r}'\rightarrow\mathbf{q}'[/itex]. Due to crystallinity, however, I should be able to end up with a polarizability tensor [itex]\chi_{\mathbf{G}\mathbf{G}'}(\mathbf{q})[/itex] (where [itex]\mathbf{G}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{G}'[/itex] are reciprocal lattice vectors). I want to find the form of this tensor as an average of a commutator, i.e. I want to find something like (ignoring time-dependences):
[tex] \chi_{\mathbf{G}\mathbf{G}'}(\mathbf{q}) \sim \big\langle\big[ \rho(\ldots_{\mathbf{q}\mathbf{G}\mathbf{G}'}), \rho (\ldots_{\mathbf{q}\mathbf{G}\mathbf{G}'})\big]\big\rangle ,[/tex] Where I've written '[itex]\ldots_{\mathbf{q}\mathbf{G}\mathbf{G}'}[/itex]', when I'm unsure of what the facts should be (although I suspect something like [itex]\mathbf{q}+\mathbf{G}[/itex] for the first element and [itex]-\mathbf{q}-\mathbf{G}'[/itex] for the second).

This kind a derivation has been done in the momentum and frequency domain before (Refs. [1] and [2], see below), specifically in 1962 and 1963 by Adler and Wiser seperately, but the derivation starts from the self-consistent field method - of which I'm not a big fan. I'd much rather be able to do the derivation starting from Kubo's formula. I've tried, but I seem not to be able to finish the derivation. This is where I hope that someone on this board (if, amazingly, someone should have red this far in spite of everything!) might be able to help me!

I've thought about a way of presenting the problem shortly, but I'm afraid I've failed. Consequently, I've appended a 2 page document of my current derivation (sadly, I cannot append it to this forum, since I don't have 10 posts yet - I'm somewhat afraid that it also won't be OK to link, but ...): www.dropbox.com/s/57903d3q7rm0vrj/LocaFieldEffects_Polarizability_PF.pdf.
It's very understandable if no one should decide to read it - but I'll cross my fingers and hope someone will :). If you are in a hurry, you can perhaps jump immediately to Eq. (9) in that document, and see if you have any brilliant ideas for me.

In any case, whether you have any ideas or not, thanks for reading this far :)!

[1] http://[/U][U]link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRev.129.62[/U]
[2] http://[/U][U]link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRev.126.413[/U]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
</code>I'm afraid I've failed to present the problem succinctly. However, I hope that someone on this board might be able to help me with this derivation. If you are in a hurry, you can perhaps jump immediately to Eq. (9) in the 2 page document I have attached, and see if you have any brilliant ideas.In any case, whether you have any ideas or not, thanks for reading this far :)!

What is the Polarizability Tensor?

The Polarizability Tensor is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the ability of a material to respond to an applied electric field. It is a second-order tensor that represents the relationship between the induced electric dipole moment and the applied electric field.

What are Local Field Effects?

Local Field Effects refer to the influence of neighboring molecules or atoms on the polarizability of a material. These effects can cause deviations from the ideal behavior predicted by the Polarizability Tensor.

What is the Adler-Wiser formula?

The Adler-Wiser formula is an equation that describes the relationship between the Polarizability Tensor and the dielectric response of a material. It takes into account both the local field effects and the anisotropy of the material.

Why is the Polarizability Tensor important?

The Polarizability Tensor is important because it helps us understand the optical and electrical properties of materials. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as liquid crystal displays and optical fibers.

How is the Polarizability Tensor calculated?

The Polarizability Tensor can be calculated using quantum mechanical methods, such as density functional theory or Hartree-Fock theory. These methods take into account the electronic structure of the material and its interactions with the applied electric field.