Polarization and intensity with three polarizing sheets

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem related to unpolarized light passing through multiple sheets at different angles. The correct equation to use was determined to be I = I0*cos^2(θ), with θ being the angle between the two sheets. The correct approach was to take the sum of the angles and use that as the angle for I2 and I3. The final ratio of I3/I0 could then be used to find the percentage of light intensity.
VitaX

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7899/physicsch3333.png

Homework Equations

I = 0.5*I_0
I = I_0*cos^2(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I_1 = 0.5*I_0*(cos 50)^2
I_2 = I_1*(cos 70)^2
I_3 = I2*(cos 50)^2

This is my attempt at the problem. This is new to me and I know that I use I = 0.5*I_0 for unpolarized light, but this one had an angle so I wasn't sure how to implement it in. I'm assuming my I_1 is wrong, what's the correct notation for it? And I used the angles relative to the x axis, should I not do that and use the given angles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is new to me and I know that I use I = 0.5*I_0 for unpolarized light, but this one had an angle so I wasn't sure how to implement it in.

Your I1 is indeed wrong. The light is initially unpolarized, which means it doesn't point in any direction in particular. So the angle of the first sheet doesn't matter. We just have,

I1 = 0.5 I0

And I used the angles relative to the x axis, should I not do that and use the given angles?

You do need to fix your angles. The equation you posted is correct, but you didn't implement it correctly. We have,

I = I0*cos2(θ)

Any angle is defined as the angle between something and something else. What two things is θ between in this case?

Mike Pemulis said:
Your I1 is indeed wrong. The light is initially unpolarized, which means it doesn't point in any direction in particular. So the angle of the first sheet doesn't matter. We just have,

I1 = 0.5 I0

You do need to fix your angles. The equation you posted is correct, but you didn't implement it correctly. We have,

Any angle is defined as the angle between something and something else. What two things is θ between in this case?

So it will be:
I1 = 0.5 I0
I2 = I1cos^2(20)
I3 = I2cos^2(40)

Then it's just:
I3 = I2cos^2(40) = (I1cos^2(20))cos^2(40) = 0.5 I0cos^(20)cos^2(40)

And whatever constant I get multiplied by I0. Then find the ratio of I3/I0 and that's my percentage of light intensity? Are my angles right this time around?

I2 = I1cos2(20)
I3 = I2cos2(40)

No -- the given angles are not exactly the angles you plug into the formula. You need to figure out what to do with them. One hint -- say the axis of Sheet 2 pointed in the same direction as the axis of Sheet 1. What would happen to the intensity as the light passed through Sheet 2?

Mike Pemulis said:
No -- the given angles are not exactly the angles you plug into the formula. You need to figure out what to do with them. One hint -- say the axis of Sheet 2 pointed in the same direction as the axis of Sheet 1. What would happen to the intensity as the light passed through Sheet 2?

So you're telling me to use something like this:

3e8ER.png

Where I take the sum of the angles 40 and 20 and then my angles for I2 and I3 will be 60 degrees? I guess I could find the angle between the two, which would be 120 as well, since we are squaring them, the negative will go away anyways.

Last edited:
Exactly right. I have nothing to add -- nice job. :smile:

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is a property of electromagnetic waves, such as light, where the electric field oscillates only in one direction. This is achieved by filtering out all the waves that are not aligned in the desired direction.

2. How do polarizing sheets work?

Polarizing sheets are made up of long molecules that are aligned in a specific direction. When unpolarized light passes through these sheets, the molecules act as filters, absorbing or reflecting light waves that are not aligned with their direction. This results in polarized light passing through the sheet.

3. What happens when light passes through multiple polarizing sheets?

When light passes through multiple polarizing sheets, its intensity decreases with each sheet. The intensity of light is reduced by half with each polarizing sheet it passes through. This is because each sheet filters out only half of the light waves that are not aligned with its direction.

4. Can the intensity of light be increased by using more polarizing sheets?

No, the intensity of light cannot be increased by using more polarizing sheets. As mentioned before, the intensity of light is reduced by half with each polarizing sheet it passes through. Adding more sheets would only result in further reduction of intensity.

5. How is the angle of polarization affected by multiple polarizing sheets?

The angle of polarization remains the same after passing through multiple polarizing sheets. This is because the angle of polarization is determined by the alignment of the molecules in the sheets, which does not change as light passes through them.