Polarization between 3 sheets intensity

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a question involving polarizers and the use of the law of Malus. The problem is that the answer for part a) and b) seems to be incorrect. The conversation discusses the logic used for part a) and potential mistakes in the calculations, as well as clarifying the use of the law of Malus. The conversation concludes with a thank you for the help provided.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys I am having a problem with this question
upload_2017-5-23_20-58-43.png

Q55 a) and b)

My problem is that for part a) I used the following logic. That if two sheet won't let light through at ##90^\circ## so if a 3rd sheet is inserted between the two the angle between each is ##45^\circ##, But for part a) ans b)seem to be getting something wrong. I assume the the light I will show my working below.

Homework Equations

##I=I_0cos^2\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a) light from sheet 1 to sheet 2 is:

##I_{1,2}=I_0(cos45)^2=\frac{I_0}{2}##

light from sheet 2 to sheet 3 is:

##I_{2,3}=\frac{I_0}{2}(cos45)^2=\frac{I_0}{4}##

but the ans is \frac{I_0}{8}

which is where I am confused is the first sheet be put at and angle of 45 degrees when light enters beacuse I was under the assumption the the first sheet is perpendicular to the last sheet at it is the sheet in the middle that is only 45 degrees.

I am having the same issue with b) thus why I have no workings

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##I_o## in the law of Malus is usually taken to be the light intensity after the first polarizer. You need to first find out how that ##I_o## relates to the initial incident unpolarized light intensity :wink:

Ah yes I see now, that on average the electric field is 45 degree w/r to the trasmission axis. So the through the firs filter it would be ##I=I_0\frac{1}{2}##

thank you very much for your help

1. What is polarization between 3 sheets intensity?

Polarization between 3 sheets intensity refers to the amount of light that is transmitted, absorbed, or reflected by three polarizing sheets. This measure is used to describe the strength of polarized light passing through three sheets with specific orientations.

2. How is polarization between 3 sheets intensity measured?

Polarization between 3 sheets intensity is typically measured using a polarimeter, which is an instrument that can analyze the intensity of polarized light. The polarimeter measures the amount of light transmitted through the three sheets and calculates the polarization intensity using mathematical formulas.

3. What factors can affect polarization between 3 sheets intensity?

The intensity of polarization between 3 sheets can be affected by the orientation and thickness of the sheets, the wavelength of the light, and the angle at which the light passes through the sheets. Other factors such as temperature and the material of the sheets can also play a role.

4. What is the significance of polarization between 3 sheets intensity in scientific research?

Polarization between 3 sheets intensity is an important measure in various fields of science, such as optics, astronomy, and material science. It can provide information about the properties of light and materials, and help researchers understand the behavior of polarized light in different environments.

5. Can polarization between 3 sheets intensity be manipulated?

Yes, polarization between 3 sheets intensity can be manipulated by changing the orientation, thickness, or material of the sheets. This can be useful in controlling the amount of polarized light that passes through the sheets, and is often used in applications such as polarizing filters for cameras and sunglasses.