Polymerization - Synthesis of Orlon

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for information on the synthesis of Orlon, a compound used in organic chemistry. They are having trouble finding this information online and are asking for help. Another person suggests using specific keywords to search and provides a link with more information on Orlon's structure. The conversation ends with the student expressing gratitude for the help.
vg19
Hey,

Im doing a project on organic Chemistry and I need to find the structure for the synthesis of Orlon. However, it seems very hard to find this info on the net. I've googled everything but no info. Can somebody please help me find a website with this information? I think there may be a differennt, more popular name for this compound that I am not aware of.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, it is very surprising how you couldn't find orlon synthesis, just googling with the word "orlon" will give lots of hits... You should re-search by using the keywords "orlon" and "structure". I found this link, and wonder if you can find it too.

Well, I have also learned that orlon is plain polyacrylonitrile, with polymerization proceeds on ethylene side chain with radicalic nature. This may give you a cue.

1. What is the purpose of polymerization in the synthesis of Orlon?

Polymerization is the chemical process of combining monomer molecules to form longer chains, known as polymers. In the synthesis of Orlon, polymerization is used to create a strong and durable material that can be used in various applications such as clothing, carpets, and ropes.

2. How is Orlon polymerized?

Orlon, also known as acrylic fiber, is typically polymerized through a process called suspension polymerization. This involves suspending monomer molecules in a liquid medium, such as water, and initiating the polymerization reaction through the use of heat, pressure, or a catalyst.

3. What are the advantages of using Orlon in comparison to other synthetic fibers?

Orlon has several advantages over other synthetic fibers, including its high strength and durability, resistance to chemicals and sunlight, and ability to retain its shape and color after multiple washings. It is also often less expensive than other synthetic fibers and can be produced in a variety of colors and textures.

4. What are the potential environmental impacts of Orlon polymerization?

The polymerization of Orlon can have environmental impacts due to the use of chemicals, energy, and water in the production process. However, many manufacturers have implemented more sustainable practices, such as using renewable energy sources and recycling water, to reduce these impacts.

5. Is Orlon safe for human use?

Orlon is generally considered safe for human use, as it is not known to cause any adverse health effects. However, like any synthetic material, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling Orlon during the polymerization process, such as wearing protective gear and following proper ventilation procedures.