Popular Physics Books: Get Recommendations Here

In summary: Already ordered! This makes me excited. I really disliked the text my college used for those intro classes. Will actually be enjoyable to review these topics now.Also, if anyone else reads this, I want to put a plug in for international editions. They're significantly cheaper, legal, and exactly the same.
tolove
Anyone a fan of pop physics books?

I've found that the analogies and random bits of history in such books help tremendously in addition to a textbook.

Does anyone have a recommendation? How about recommendation for lesser known topics (that is, not relativity)? Specifically, a book that covers concepts of electromagnetic waves would help me a lot right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a pop physics book, but the Feynman lectures is an awesome supplement.

micromass said:
Not a pop physics book, but the Feynman lectures is an awesome supplement.

Yes! I have a copy of those. Haven't listened to them all yet, though. I think I'll put them on a .mp3 player and start listening to them on my daily commute.

tolove said:
Yes! I have a copy of those. Haven't listened to them all yet, though. I think I'll put them on a .mp3 player and start listening to them on my daily commute.

Listened? They have an audio version now?

micromass said:
Listened? They have an audio version now?

Read? They have a text version now?

Haha, I'll check the text version out. I didn't know about them.

I think the story behind the audio version is that Feynman, one time only, taught a full sequence of the introductory physics courses. One of the listeners brought an audio recorder, and there they are. The quality is not very good in places, and in other places he's writing on the chalk board and you have little idea what's happening. But parts of it (from what I've listened to so far) are rather amusing.

tolove said:
Read? They have a text version now?

Haha, I'll check the text version out. I didn't know about them.

I think the story behind the audio version is that Feynman, one time only, taught a full sequence of the introductory physics courses. One of the listeners brought an audio recorder, and there they are. The quality is not very good in places, and in other places he's writing on the chalk board and you have little idea what's happening. But parts of it (from what I've listened to so far) are rather amusing.

Here is the text version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201021153/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I'm going to look into buying the audio version...

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Here is the text version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201021153/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I'm going to look into buying the audio version...

Already ordered! This makes me excited. I really disliked the text my college used for those intro classes. Will actually be enjoyable to review these topics now.

Also, if anyone else reads this, I want to put a plug in for international editions. They're significantly cheaper, legal, and exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Popular Physics Books: Get Recommendations Here

1. What are some popular physics books that are suitable for beginners?

Some popular physics books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. These books provide a great introduction to concepts like relativity, quantum mechanics, and the nature of the universe, in an accessible and engaging way.

2. Are there any physics books that are suitable for people with no background in science?

Yes, there are many physics books that are written for a general audience and do not require a background in science. Some examples include "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene. These books use everyday language and analogies to explain complex concepts in a way that is easy to understand for non-scientists.

3. Can you recommend any physics books that focus on a specific topic?

Absolutely! There are many physics books that delve deep into a specific area of physics. Some popular examples include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which explores the theories of relativity and string theory, "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, which focuses on quantum mechanics, and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, which covers a wide range of topics in astronomy and astrophysics.

4. Are there any physics books that are suitable for advanced readers?

Yes, there are many physics books that are designed for readers with a more advanced understanding of the subject. These books often cover more complex theories and concepts, and may require some background knowledge in physics. Some examples include "The Nature of Space and Time" by Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, and "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

5. Are there any physics books that combine scientific information with a compelling narrative?

Absolutely! Many popular physics books use storytelling techniques to make complex scientific concepts more engaging and understandable. Some examples include "The Order of Time" by Carlo Rovelli, which explores the concept of time through poetic language and personal anecdotes, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli, which presents complex theories in a simple and lyrical way, and "The Alchemy of the Heavens" by Ken Croswell, which combines astronomy with history and mythology.