1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive Radius of Convergence

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1

Suppose that {[tex]a_{k}[/tex]}[tex]^{\infty}_{k=0}[/tex] is a bounded sequence
    of real numbers. Show that [tex]\sum[/tex]a[tex]_{k}[/tex]x[tex]^{k}[/tex] has a
    positive radius of convergence.

I have attempted to use the ratio test and failed. I am suspicious I can try the root
    test, but I am not sure how to work it. I just got used to 'Math Type Lite' and I am
    not used to Latex, hence it took me a while to type it up. Pardon if my question looks

Anyway, I am depressed. I spent the past two hours on this problem and I am getting nowhere.

Thank You,
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the hypotheses of the ratio test: you can use it only when you have a series whose terms are nonnegative. This could serve as a hint!
  4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    I am thinking of using the root test. I know there is a theorem related to the root test that discusses R = lim sup [1/|a_k|^1/k ]. (Pardon my crappy lack of knowledge of Latex, I'm learning).

So, what am I trying to say? I am not sure. I know that if a sequence is bounded, then
    the sequence should be less than some constant M, always. Yet, so what? How does
    this tell me that my R (radius of convergence) is positive?

I hope this tells you where I have failed. Ugh, I really hate power series.

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose [itex]|a_k| <= M[/itex] for all k, where M>0. Then [itex]|a_k|^{1/k} \leq M^{1/k}[/itex] and thus [itex]\limsup_k |a_k|^{1/k} \leq \sup_k M^{1/k} < \infty[/itex].
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice that all you really need to do is show that the series converges for some non-zero x. Then the radius of convergence must be larger than |x| and so is positive.

You are told that the sequence {an} is bounded. That is, there exist some positive integer M such that |an|< M. What is the radius of convergence of
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} Mx^n[/itex]?
  7. Feb 5, 2008 #6

Thank you all for your help. I think I got a solid result. I shored up the arguments used here with the root test. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?