Positive real numbers question

In summary, to prove that the limit of (x_1^p+...+x_n^p)/n)^{1/p} is equal to the maximum of x_1,...,x_n, you can use the hint to factor out x_k^p and bring it outside of the ()^(1/p) power. This will lead to a limit that equals 1 when x_i=x_k and 0 when x_i<x_k.
TTob
question:
let [tex]x_1,...,x_n[/tex] positive real numbers.
prove that

[tex]\lim_{p\to \infty}\left(\frac{x_1^p+...+x_n^p}{n}\right)^{1/p}=max\{x_1,...,x_n\}[/tex]

can you give me some hints ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Suppose the largest number is x_k. What is the limit of (x_i/x_k)^p? Is that enough of a hint?

this limit equals 1 when x_i=x_k and 0 when x_i<x_k.
so lim (x_1^p+...+x_n^p)/x_k^p = number of x_i that equal to x_k.
I don't know how to continue.

Factor x_k^p out of the sum in your limit (that's how you get that expression whose limit you just figured out). Then bring it outside of the ()^(1/p) power as x_k.

Thank you !

What are positive real numbers?

Positive real numbers are any numbers that are greater than zero. They can be written as decimals or fractions, and they are always on the right side of the number line.

How are positive real numbers different from negative real numbers?

Positive real numbers are greater than zero, while negative real numbers are less than zero. They are on opposite sides of the number line and have different properties in mathematical operations.

Can zero be considered a positive real number?

No, zero is not considered a positive real number. It is neither positive nor negative and has its own category in mathematics, known as the "neutral element."

Are all positive real numbers rational?

No, not all positive real numbers are rational. Rational numbers can be written as a ratio of two integers, while some positive real numbers, such as pi or the square root of 2, cannot be expressed as a ratio and are considered irrational.

What are some examples of positive real numbers?

Some examples of positive real numbers are 1, 2.5, 3/4, 0.2, and 100. These numbers are all greater than zero and can be represented on a number line to the right of the origin.