Positive slope instead of negative

In summary, the speakers discuss their experience building an RC parallel circuit in a physics laboratory and attempting to draw a tan of the phase φ as a function of frequency. However, instead of a linear line with a negative slope as expected by the equation tan(φ)=-ωRC, they get a positive one. They speculate that this could be due to the connection of the wires in the circuit, but are unable to find a physical explanation for it. They seek help in understanding this issue.
MMS
Not sure if this is the right section but I believe it'll be moved if not. :)

Anyway, in my physics laboratory, we build an RC parallel circuit. we measured some things here and there that would help us draw the tan of the phase φ as a function of the frequency. The problem is, instead of receiving a linear line with a negative slope as we would expect by the relation tan(φ)=-ωRC, we get a positive one.
We (me and my partner) tried to work out what was wrong and didn't really get too far with it. The only thing that came across our minds is that there is something related to the connection of the wires in the circuit that would determine the phase.
Not sure if that's wrong or right and it doesn't really satisfy me since we didn't give a too much of a physical explanation as to why is that but that's why I'm here. :p

I hope you guys can help me out with it.Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A matter of tracking back what was here and what was there.
Is it clear what the ##\phi## in ##\tan\phi = -\omega\; RC## stands for ?

1. What is a positive slope?

A positive slope refers to the direction and rate of change of a line on a graph. It means that as the x-values increase, the y-values also increase at a constant rate.

2. How can a positive slope be identified on a graph?

A positive slope can be identified by looking at the direction of the line on a graph. If the line is moving upwards from left to right, it has a positive slope. Additionally, the slope can be calculated using the formula: slope = change in y-values/change in x-values.

3. What does a positive slope indicate?

A positive slope indicates that there is a positive relationship between the two variables being plotted on the graph. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases.

4. How does a positive slope differ from a negative slope?

A positive slope differs from a negative slope in terms of direction. While a positive slope moves upwards from left to right, a negative slope moves downwards from left to right. This means that as the x-values increase, the y-values decrease for a negative slope.

5. Can a positive slope ever be negative?

No, a positive slope can never be negative. The term "positive slope" refers to a specific direction and cannot be reversed. However, a line can have a positive slope in one section and a negative slope in another, depending on the behavior of the variables being plotted.