Possible to make smoke without the heat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pyrotechnics and the potential danger associated with extreme heat. The speaker wonders if it is possible to create a visual effect similar to pyrotechnics without the use of extreme heat. The concept of using fog machines and smoke grenades as alternatives is also brought up.
Kalle Eriksson
Hello

I'm new here at Physics Forums and have been struggling with understanding how a simple
pyrotechnics works, and thought I'd try you guys.

As i understand pyrotechnics heat up, making them very hard to control and dangerous to people around them but is the extreme heat really necessary?

Is it possible to create something that looks like pyrotechnics but does not last as long and does not come near the heat?

Thank you and please excuse my ignorance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You mean flame without heat?

Alcathous said:
You mean flame without heat?
I guess you could call it flame, i mean a "firework" like the one in this video;
And then the smoke like the one in this video;

Flame and smoke are completely different things. I would think you'd be familiar with something like a fog machine or smoke grenades(though they probably heat up, I just don't know how much), so I assumed you meant something else.

And then you mentioned pyrotechnics.

1. Can smoke be produced without heat?

Yes, it is possible to produce smoke without heat. Smoke can be created through a process called "cold smoking" which involves using smoke generated from smoldering wood or other materials to infuse flavor into food or other substances without actually cooking them.

2. How does cold smoking work?

Cold smoking works by creating a low-temperature environment (usually between 68-86°F) where the smoke can linger and flavor the food or substance being smoked. This is typically done in a controlled chamber or container to prevent the heat from getting too high and cooking the item being smoked.

3. What types of food can be cold smoked?

Virtually any food can be cold smoked, but some common examples include meats (such as salmon, bacon, and cheese), vegetables, and even fruits. Cold smoking can also be used to add flavor to beverages like cocktails or tea.

4. Is cold smoking safe?

When done correctly and with proper food safety precautions, cold smoking is generally considered safe. However, it is important to note that cold smoking does not cook the food, so any potential harmful bacteria or pathogens may still be present. Therefore, it is important to use high-quality, properly stored ingredients and follow recommended guidelines for cold smoking.

5. Are there any risks associated with cold smoking?

One potential risk of cold smoking is the development of botulism, a type of food poisoning caused by a toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. This can be avoided by using cured or pre-cooked meats and maintaining proper temperature and hygiene during the smoking process.