1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postion problem

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    We are given a velocity vs. time graph. It starts at 15 m/s at t=0 and goes to -10m/s at t=4
    then it goes from -10m/s at t=4 to 15m/s at t=10 and we are told to find the postion after t=10

I first found the slope of the first segment which was -6.25. so I did ∫-6.25t+15 dt from 0 to 4 and got 10m
    I found the second slope, 4.16...., and did ∫4.16...t-10 dt from 0-6 (because I moved it to the orgin so it made sense) and got 15m. So I added the two segments to get 25m. But the site keeps saying that's the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2
    Does the sight care about significant figures? Hard to believe ∫4.16t-10 dt comes out to exactly 15m.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    It comes to 15 when you put 25/6 which is 4.16 repeating. But yes the site does care about significant figures.

5. Sep 6, 2013 #4
    oh, I didn't do the math myself I just took it as 4.16 flat. Well I did the math myself as well as taking the area under the curve of the graph and got the same answer as you both ways. Honestly at this point I would say they possibly put in a wrong answer for the problem since it's electronic. I know that's happened to people I know before so you might as well ask.

6. Sep 6, 2013 #5
    ok thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted