Potential difference across a resistor

In summary: So in summary, the value of R for which the potential difference across the first cell is zero is given by (C) R = r1 - r2.
palkia

Homework Statement

Two cells of same emf E and different internal resistance r1 and r2 are connected in series to an external resistance R.The value of R for which the potential difference across the first cell is zero is given by

(A) R=r1/r2
(B)R=r1+r2
(C)R=r1-r2
(D)R=r1r2

Homework Equations

E=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first founded the total current in the circuit which came to be-E/R+r1+r2 then used the equation Ir1 to get the potential difference but I am not getting my answer[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get as answer?

What must be the voltage drop at r1 to make this scenario possible?

By the way: It is useful to put brackets around denominators to make clear what is in the denominator. is x/y+z =(x/y)+z (as it would be usually read) or x/(y+z) (what you mean here)?

Likes palkia
Potential difference across r1is Er1/(R+r1+r2) so for zero potential difference r1=0 which looks weird

palkia said:
the total current in the circuit which came to be-E/(R+r1+r2)
No, you forgot something.

Likes palkia
2E/R+r1+r2

palkia said:
2E/R+r1+r2
Right, but please use parentheses correctly.
If the PD across the first battery is zero, what current would you expect?

Likes palkia
E=2E/(R+r1+r2) r1

But why are solving for the terminal voltage of the battery?

palkia said:
E=2E/(R+r1+r2) r1

But why are solving for the terminal voltage of the battery?
I believe that equation gives the right answer.

Likes palkia
E-Ir1

palkia said:
E-Ir1
I do not see how you got that from the equation in post #7. Please show your working.

Likes palkia
haruspex said:
I do not see how you got that from the equation in post #7. Please show your working.
E-2 E r1 /(R+r1+r2)

So the potential difference across the interal resistor issame as terminal voltage of the battery?

palkia said:
So the potential difference across the interal resistor issame as terminal voltage of the battery?
Right.

Likes palkia
palkia said:
E-2 E r1 /(R+r1+r2)
That is not an equation. You had E=2 E r1 /(R+r1+r2). What does that give you for r1 in terms of R and r2?

Likes palkia
I am getting R=r1-r2

palkia said:
I am getting R=r1-r2
Right.

Likes palkia

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol "ΔV".

How is potential difference across a resistor measured?

The potential difference across a resistor can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the resistor, meaning it is connected to the two points between which the potential difference is being measured.

What is the relationship between potential difference and current in a resistor?

According to Ohm's law, the potential difference across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it, given that the temperature and other physical conditions remain constant. This relationship is represented by the equation ΔV = IR, where I is the current and R is the resistance of the resistor.

Can the potential difference across a resistor be negative?

Yes, the potential difference across a resistor can be negative. This occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the potential difference. However, the absolute value of the potential difference will still be the same.

What causes potential difference across a resistor?

The potential difference across a resistor is caused by the flow of electric charges. As the charges move through the resistor, they encounter resistance and lose energy, leading to a drop in potential. This results in a potential difference across the resistor.