Potential Difference and flow of current

In summary, the speaker is a beginner in electrostatics and is familiar with Kirchhoff's rules/laws. However, they have a doubt about current flowing through a wire with zero potential difference. The explanation given is that it is an approximation due to the small voltage drop across the wire compared to other components. The speaker thanks the others for clarifying their doubt.
UchihaClan13
Okay guys
I am a beginner (in electrostatics as i just started studying it)
I am thorough with kirchhoffs rules/laws
But one thing which bugs me is this doubt
So in the book that i am reading
It says that even if the potential difference is zero,current flows through a wire
I don't get how
I mean
After all isn't ΔV=IR
so ifΔV is zero and so is R doesn't that mean that I is infinity or indeterminate
I am guessing the answer's got to do with some sort of assumption/approximation
But could you guys help me out?
Help is much appreciated!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give some context? Like what was said before that statement? Or just post a picture of the page please

UchihaClan13 said:
I am guessing the answer's got to do with some sort of assumption/approximation
It's an approximation, yes. Voltage drop across the wire is so small compared to that across the components that it is taken as 0. Wires are assumed to be ideal. In practice, they do have some resistance. Superconductors are an exception, but that's a different topic.

cnh1995 said:
It's an approximation, yes. Voltage drop across the wire is so small compared to that across the components that it is taken as 0. Wires are assumed to be ideal. In practice, they do have some resistance. Superconductors are an exception, but that's a different topic.
Okay
i get it
Those approximations again
Thanks for clarifying my doubt!:)

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential difference related to current?

Potential difference and current are directly related to each other. In order for current to flow, there must be a potential difference present. The higher the potential difference, the greater the flow of current.

3. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential between two points in the circuit and gives a reading in volts (V).

4. What is the relationship between resistance and potential difference?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of current. The greater the resistance, the smaller the current flow for a given potential difference. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the potential difference divided by the current (R=V/I).

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Potential difference is the driving force behind the flow of current in a circuit. When there is a higher potential difference, the electrons have more energy and can move more easily, resulting in a greater flow of current. In contrast, a lower potential difference will result in a smaller flow of current.