Potential Difference of Hollow Circular Cylinder

In summary: EDIT2: Ahh, using ln identities and multiplying by the conjugate gets me that equality. Thanks for the help sir. =)In summary, the conversation involved finding the potential difference between a point on the axis at one end and the midpoint of the axis for a hollow circular cylinder with a uniform surface charge. The solution involved integrating along the length of the cylinder and using trigonometric substitution. There was a question about the difference in potential between integrating from 0 to b/2 and -b/2 to b/2, which was resolved using ln identities. Overall, there is not a more elegant way to calculate the potential difference.
rbrayana123

Homework Statement

A hollow circular cylinder of radius a and length b, with open ends, has a total charge Q uniformly distributed over its surface. What is the difference in potential between a point on the axis at one end and the midpoint of the axis?

Homework Equations

U = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

dq = σdS

I decide to integrate along the length of the cylinder so:
dS = 2∏a dx
σ = Q/2∏ab

Therefore, dq = Q/b dx

Now, for the r, it's equal to √(a^2 + x^2) with x ranging from 0 to b for the endpoint and 0 to b/2 for the midpoint. (However, I double it)

So my integral for the endpoint:

kQ/b∫dx/√(a^2 + x^2) from 0 to b is kQ/b * [ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2) + b) - ln(a)]

My integral for the midpoint is:

2kQ/b∫dx/√(a^2 + x^2) from 0 to b/2 is 2kQ/b * [ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) + b/2) - ln(a)]

Now I actually have a couple of questions regarding the integration. Is it correct? I used trig sub to integrate secx to get ln (secx + tanx) and substituted back in. Wolfram Alpha appears to agree: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+dx/sqrt(a^2+++x^2)

Next, for the second integral, why does integrating from -b/2 to b/2 get me a different answer?

Lastly, the potential difference seems messy. Is there a more elegant way to calculate out the potentials for both the endpoint and midpoint or is this appropriate?

Physics news on Phys.org
rbrayana123 said:
2kQ/b∫dx/√(a^2 + x^2) from 0 to b/2 is 2kQ/b * [ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) + b/2) - ln(a)]
Looks right.
Next, for the second integral, why does integrating from -b/2 to b/2 get me a different answer?
Are you sure it's different?
ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) - b/2) = 2 ln(a) - ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) + b/2)
Lastly, the potential difference seems messy. Is there a more elegant way to calculate out the potentials for both the endpoint and midpoint or is this appropriate?
I'm not aware of any easier way. It's not as though the final answer is paticularly simple and elegant.

I could either use a symmetry argument and integrate from 0 to b/2 but multiply by two OR integrate from -b/2 to b/2. It appears different when comparing those cases mostly because of the "+ x" term in the ln for the integral.

EDIT: I'm a little confused about the above equality you gave 0_0
EDIT2: Ahh, using ln identites and multiplying by the conjugate gets me that equality.

Thanks for the help sir. =)

Last edited:
rbrayana123 said:
I could either use a symmetry argument and integrate from 0 to b/2 but multiply by two OR integrate from -b/2 to b/2. It appears different when comparing those cases mostly because of the "+ x" term in the ln for the integral.

EDIT: I'm a little confused about the above equality you gave 0_0
You didn't post what you got for the other half integral, so I presumed it was
kQ/b * [ln(a) - ln(sqrt(a2 + b2) - b) ], i.e. swap the sign of b and swap the signs on the two terms. My identity was to show this is actually the same value.

I would like to point out that the potential difference between two points is a scalar quantity and does not have direction. Therefore, using the term "endpoint" and "midpoint" may be misleading. Instead, we can refer to the two points as point A and point B.

To calculate the potential difference between point A and point B, we can use the equation U = kQ/r, where r is the distance between the two points. In this case, r can be calculated as the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides a and b/2.

So the potential at point A is U_A = kQ/√(a^2 + (b/2)^2) and the potential at point B is U_B = kQ/√(a^2 + b^2). Therefore, the potential difference between the two points is U_A - U_B = kQ/√(a^2 + (b/2)^2) - kQ/√(a^2 + b^2).

This approach is more straightforward and does not require integration. However, your approach using integration is also correct. The only error I see is in the limits of integration for the midpoint. It should be from -b/2 to b/2, not 0 to b/2. This will give you the same result as the first integral.

In summary, both approaches are valid and will give the same result. It ultimately depends on which method you are more comfortable with. I hope this helps.

1. What is the potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder?

The potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder is the difference in electric potential between two points on the surface of the cylinder. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the work that must be done to move a unit charge from one point to another.

2. How is the potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder calculated?

The potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder can be calculated using the formula V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current flowing through the cylinder, and R is the resistance of the cylinder.

3. What factors affect the potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder?

The potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder is affected by the current flowing through it, the resistance of the cylinder, and the material the cylinder is made of. Additionally, the length and diameter of the cylinder can also impact the potential difference.

4. How does the potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder affect its electrical conductivity?

The potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder is directly related to its electrical conductivity. A higher potential difference means that there is a greater force pushing the charges through the cylinder, resulting in better conductivity. Conversely, a lower potential difference means there is less force and therefore, lower conductivity.

5. Can the potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder ever be negative?

Yes, the potential difference of a hollow circular cylinder can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the current flow is opposite to the direction of the electric field. In this case, the potential difference is negative because the charges are moving against the direction of the electric field, which requires energy to be done.