1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference of Hollow Circular Cylinder

1. Dec 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hollow circular cylinder of radius a and length b, with open ends, has a total charge Q uniformly distributed over its surface. What is the difference in potential between a point on the axis at one end and the midpoint of the axis?

2. Relevant equations

U = kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

dq = σdS

I decide to integrate along the length of the cylinder so:
    dS = 2∏a dx
    σ = Q/2∏ab

Therefore, dq = Q/b dx

Now, for the r, it's equal to √(a^2 + x^2) with x ranging from 0 to b for the endpoint and 0 to b/2 for the midpoint. (However, I double it)

So my integral for the endpoint:

kQ/b∫dx/√(a^2 + x^2) from 0 to b is kQ/b * [ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2) + b) - ln(a)]

My integral for the midpoint is:

2kQ/b∫dx/√(a^2 + x^2) from 0 to b/2 is 2kQ/b * [ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) + b/2) - ln(a)]

Now I actually have a couple of questions regarding the integration. Is it correct? I used trig sub to integrate secx to get ln (secx + tanx) and substituted back in. Wolfram Alpha appears to agree: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+dx/sqrt(a^2+++x^2)

Next, for the second integral, why does integrating from -b/2 to b/2 get me a different answer?

Lastly, the potential difference seems messy. Is there a more elegant way to calculate out the potentials for both the endpoint and midpoint or is this appropriate?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks right.
    Are you sure it's different?
    ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) - b/2) = 2 ln(a) - ln(sqrt(a^2 + b^2/4) + b/2)
    I'm not aware of any easier way. It's not as though the final answer is paticularly simple and elegant.

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3
    I could either use a symmetry argument and integrate from 0 to b/2 but multiply by two OR integrate from -b/2 to b/2. It appears different when comparing those cases mostly because of the "+ x" term in the ln for the integral.

EDIT: I'm a little confused about the above equality you gave 0_0
    EDIT2: Ahh, using ln identites and multiplying by the conjugate gets me that equality.

Thanks for the help sir. =)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  5. Dec 22, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You didn't post what you got for the other half integral, so I presumed it was
    kQ/b * [ln(a) - ln(sqrt(a2 + b2) - b) ], i.e. swap the sign of b and swap the signs on the two terms. My identity was to show this is actually the same value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook