What are the Work and Energy Relationships in a Spring System?

In summary, a 700 g block is released from rest at height h0 above a vertical spring with spring constant k = 380 N/m and negligible mass. After compressing the spring 24.0 cm, the block momentarily stops and does work on the spring. The work done by the block is equal to the potential energy of the spring, which can be calculated using the equation W = F*x = (1/2)kx^2. The value of h0 can be found by setting the work done by the block equal to the potential energy of the system. If the block were released from height 2.00h0 above the spring, the maximum compression of the spring can be found by setting the final velocity
blakester

Homework Statement

A 700 g block is released from rest at height h0 above a vertical spring with spring constant k = 380 N/m and negligible mass. The block sticks to the spring and momentarily stops after compressing the spring 24.0 cm.

(a) How much work is done by the block on the spring?

(b) How much work is done by the spring on the block?

(c) What is the value of h0?

(d) If the block were released from height 2.00h0 above the spring, what would be the maximum compression of the spring?

Homework Equations

(KEi + PEi) + W = (KEf + PEf)
W = F*d cos (thet)
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in .24m*380N/m (x * k) for the force the spring exerts, but I'm not quite sure what to do from here to get teh work for part a. any help is greatly appreciated, even just getting me started.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Work done/Energy associated with a spring is [tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex] and I'm guessing all energy is conserved to Wblock = -Work spring

Set Equal to potential energy to get h0

Maximum compression is when Vblock = 0

i see, i guess i had my equation wrong. Well that gets me A and B but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the second part. if H is 0 where you drop the block, would that make me use -mgh and set that equal to final potential energy (which i don't think i know)?

if i set the answer given from problems a and b equal to potential energy (mgh) i get some ridiculously small number. 10.994 / 700 / 9.8 = h = .00159 which seems impractical and is incorrect
if i have Kei + Ui + W = kf + Uf where Kei, Ui, and kf all = 0 I'm left with W = Uf which gives me the same answer as above where 10.994 = mgh and a lot of division occurs!

I got h0 = 6.51m, I don't know where you got your answer.

hmm h = 6.51 is incorrect according to the website (also tried -6.51).
i've been reading up on this physics site just trying to understand these problems. I've kind of given up on finishing my hmwk by midnight, but i do have a midterm tomorrow and I want to understand how this works so i still want to do the problems heh.

oh and thanks for tryin to help so far i do appreciate the input

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

How is potential energy related to springs?

Potential energy and springs are closely related because springs store potential energy when they are stretched or compressed. The greater the distance the spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the potential energy it has stored.

What factors affect the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is affected by its spring constant, which is a measure of how stiff the spring is, and the amount that the spring is stretched or compressed.

Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. When a spring is released, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original position.

What is the equation for calculating potential energy in a spring?

The equation for calculating potential energy in a spring is PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.