Potential Energy of Modified Atwood Machine

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total potential energy in a system involving two equal masses connected by a spring and a third mass connected by a pulley. Two attempts are made, one ignoring constants and the other preserving them, but both are found to be incorrect. The correct solution involves considering the oscillatory motion of the masses and taking into account the displacement from equilibrium.
McCoy13

Homework Statement

atwoodmachine.jpg

The two weights on the left have equal masses m and ar connected by a massless spring of force constant k. The weight on the right has mass 2m, and the pulley is massless and frictionless. The coordinate x is the extension of the spring from its equilibrium length; that is, the length of the spring is l+x where l is the equilibrium length with all the weights in position and with the 2m weight held stationary.

Show that the total potential energy is just [itex]U=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]U_{grav}=mgh[/tex]
[tex]U_{spr}=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1 (ignoring all sorts of constants added onto potential energy, since they'll disappear in Lagrange's/Hamilton's equations):
[tex]U=2mgy-mgy-mg(y+l+x)+\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]
[tex]U=-mgx+\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]
(the l was dropped for the noted reason above)

Attempt 2 (preserving all constants incase I missed something):
let the length of the rope be L;
[tex]U=2mg(y-L)-mgy-mg(y+l+x)+\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]
[tex]U=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}-mgx-mg(2L+l)[/tex]

I turned up something on a Dutch forum about changing the quadratic in the bottom from the form Ax^2+Bx+C to something like Ax^2+D and then just letting D=0 (since constant adjustments of potential don't matter), but I have absolutely no idea how to do that and it seems kind of mathematically spurious that you can change a linear term into a constant.

Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think center of mass. If you stretch the spring and let go, what kind of motion does the CM undergo?

Well, I worked through the whole problem working out the equations of motion, and for x it turns out that you get the oscillatory motion plus a constant (mg/k), and that constant is the displacement from equilibrium that occurs when you let the spring hang at rest, which is accounted for in the original problem statement by the definition of l, so it doesn't belong in the equation for x. I argued that you should ignore -mgx in the potential from this fact.

But from your question even, I still can't see how you can argue it from the beginning. The mass on the spring would oscillate about x=0. I'm not sure what CM you're talking about. The CM of the whole system? It would oscillate too.

1. What is a modified Atwood machine?

A modified Atwood machine is a device used to demonstrate the concept of potential energy. It consists of two masses connected by a string or pulley system, with one mass hanging off the edge of a table or platform. The modified aspect refers to any additional components or modifications made to the traditional Atwood machine design.

2. How is the potential energy of a modified Atwood machine calculated?

The potential energy of a modified Atwood machine can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. This equation assumes that there is no friction or other external forces acting on the system.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a modified Atwood machine?

The potential energy of a modified Atwood machine is affected by the mass of the objects, the height of the objects above the ground, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, any external forces such as friction or air resistance can also impact the potential energy.

4. What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in a modified Atwood machine?

In a modified Atwood machine, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the masses move. As the hanging mass falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. At the same time, the other mass on the table experiences an increase in potential energy as it rises, but its kinetic energy remains constant.

5. How can the potential energy of a modified Atwood machine be manipulated?

The potential energy of a modified Atwood machine can be manipulated by changing the mass of the objects, the height of the objects, or the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, adding or removing external forces such as friction or air resistance can also affect the potential energy of the system.