Potential Energy Homework: Solving F(r) = -k(r-a)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy U(r) of a central force F(r) = -k(r-a), where a is the spring of natural length and k is the spring constant. The solution involves using the equation -dU/dx = F(x), which leads to the equation kr^2/2 - kar = U(r). When graphed, this results in a parabolic function with the vertex at r = a, which makes sense for both states where r > a and r < a.
oldspice1212

Homework Statement

The net force on the mass is the central force F(r) = -k(r-a). Find the potential energy U(r).
a is the spring of natural length and k is spring constant k.

Homework Equations

-dU/dx = F(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F(r) = - \frac{ dU }{ dr } implies -k(r-a) = - \frac{ dU }{ dr }[/tex]
So I did this and then integrating both sides I got
[tex]\frac{ kr^2 }{ 2} - kar = U(r)[/tex] but this doesn't make much sense when I graph it out, as it gives me a parabola, and I would be expecting a asymptotic type function?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well think about what happens when r > a and r < a. Both states have potential energy and would therefore be parabolic with the vertex at r = a

P. S. I can't see your pics because I'm on my phone

Likes oldspice1212
I didn't upload any pics, was just making sure, and yes that makes sense, thank you :)

Likes Brian T
oldspice1212 said:
I didn't upload any pics, was just making sure, and yes that makes sense, thank you :)

Last edited:
Likes oldspice1212
Yes, that's must easier to see! Thank you so much!

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or configuration. It is often described as the energy that an object has stored within itself and has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy.

2. What is F(r) = -k(r-a)?

F(r) = -k(r-a) is a mathematical equation that represents the force of a spring. F represents the force, k is the spring constant, r is the displacement from the equilibrium position, and a is the distance at which the spring would have no force acting on it.

3. How can potential energy be calculated using F(r) = -k(r-a)?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the equation U = 1/2 * k * (r-a)^2, where U represents the potential energy. This equation can be derived from the force equation, F = -dU/dr, and integrating both sides.

4. What are the units of potential energy and the parameters in F(r) = -k(r-a)?

The units of potential energy are Joules (J), which is the same as units of work and energy. The spring constant, k, has units of N/m (newtons per meter), displacement, r, is measured in meters (m), and distance, a, also has units of meters (m).

5. How is potential energy related to kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are both forms of energy and can be interconverted. When an object has potential energy, it has the potential to do work, and when it is in motion, it has kinetic energy. The total mechanical energy of an object is the sum of its potential and kinetic energy, and it remains constant in a closed system.