Potential formulation with magnetic charge

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to solve Maxwell's equations for magnetic charge and current. They need to use the Helmholtz theorem of vector calculus and the Lorenz gauge. They need to determine the sources of electric and magnetic fields and then solve for the fields.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Develop the potential formulation for electrodynamics with magnetic charge. Use the Lorenz Gauge. You will need two scalar potentials (V_e and V_m) and two vector potentials (A_e and A_m). Write Maxwell's equations in terms of the potentials, write the electric and magnetic fields in terms of the potentials, and write the potentials in terms of the charge and current densities.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations for magnetic charge:
∇*E=ρe0
∇*B=μ0ρm
∇xE=-μ0Jm - dB/dt
∇xB=μ0Je + μ0ε0 dE/dt

Lorenz gauge:
∇*A=-μ0ε0 dV/dt

Fields in terms of potentials for electric charge:
E=-∇V - dA/dt
B=∇xA

The Attempt at a Solution

I needed to modify Gauss's law of magnetism and Faraday's law to include magnetic charge & current, which is done above in the equations. Next, I'd need to define B and E to satisfy Maxwell's equations. Well, how do I start defining E & B? I can't use the equations given for E and B above, can I? Those are assuming only electric charge right?

Most of my classmates are having trouble with this simply because we aren't sure how to start; the idea of a magnetic charge isn't the most intuitive thing for us to wrap our heads around. Any tips on how to begin would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key is the Helmholtz theorem of vector calculus, according to which any vector field [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] can be decomposed into a potential field (gradient of a scalar field) and a solenoidal field (curl of another vector field), each determined (up to a "gauge transformation") by it's surces and its vortices:
[tex]\vec{V}=-\vec{\nabla} \Phi + \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}.[/tex]
Taking the divergence you get
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}=-\Delta \Phi \stackrel{!}{=} \rho[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V} = \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A} ) -\Delta \vec{A} \stackrel{!}{=}\vec{W}.[/tex]
The sources [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\vec{W}[/itex] are supposed to be given.

The starting point for the analysis of the gauge invariance is that [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is only determined up to a scalar field, i.e., for any scalar field [itex]\chi[/itex]
[tex]\vec{A}'=\vec{A}-\vec{\nabla} \chi[/tex]
gives the same solenoidal part as [itex]\vec{A}[/itex].

At presence magnetic monopoles (i.e., magnetic charge and currend distributions in addition to the usual electric charge and current distributions) you make the corresponding decomposition for both [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] and analyse the equations following from the given Maxwell equations, including the additional magnetic sources.

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much for your reply! One of my classmates suggested using the Helmholtz Theorem but I wasn't sure how it explicitly worked out (as the appendix on it in my textbook is quite short). You make the steps much clearer; I think I can get it now. I really, really appreciate your help!

Related to Potential formulation with magnetic charge

1. What is magnetic charge and how is it different from electric charge?

Magnetic charge, also known as magnetic monopole, is a hypothetical particle that carries a magnetic charge similar to how electric charge is carried by protons and electrons. The main difference is that while electric charges can exist as separate positive or negative charges, magnetic charges have only been observed in pairs - a north and south pole together.

2. How does potential formulation with magnetic charge differ from traditional potential formulation?

In traditional potential formulation, electric charges are used to calculate the potential energy between two points in space. In potential formulation with magnetic charge, the same concept is applied, but using magnetic charges instead. This allows for a more complete understanding of magnetic interactions and can be useful in certain physics and engineering applications.

3. Is there any experimental evidence for the existence of magnetic charge?

While there have been theoretical predictions and proposed experimental setups to observe magnetic charge, there is currently no direct experimental evidence for its existence. Some indirect evidence has been observed in certain exotic materials, but further research is needed to confirm its existence.

4. How is the potential energy between two magnetic charges calculated?

The potential energy between two magnetic charges can be calculated using the same formula as the electric potential energy, but with the magnetic charges and magnetic permeability substituted in. This formula is known as the magnetic scalar potential and is a fundamental concept in potential formulation with magnetic charge.

5. What are some potential applications of potential formulation with magnetic charge?

Potential formulation with magnetic charge can have various applications in fields such as particle physics, electromagnetism, and materials science. It can help in understanding and predicting magnetic interactions, developing new materials with unique properties, and potentially even in the development of new technologies such as magnetic monopole detectors.