Potential Function from a simple conservative force

In summary, the potential functions for the given conservative forces are V = xy + C for F = xi + yj and V = -xy + C for F = yi + xj. The integration method used for the second equation may have been incorrect, leading to a slight discrepancy in the final answer. However, the correct answer was confirmed to be a conservative force.
K29

Homework Statement

Find the potential functions for these conservative forces:

(1)F=xi+yj

(2)F=yi+xj

Homework Equations

F=-[tex]\nabla[/tex]V (Force = -del (Pot.energy))

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm guessing to get V I just need to integrate F. For the first equation that gets me the right answer hurray!

However I think my method is wrong(or my general understanding the opposite of partial derivatives). Doing the same thing to eqn 2 leaves me with a slight problem.
-([tex]\int[/tex]y dx +[tex]\int[/tex]x dy)leaves me with -2xy+C. The correct answer should be -xy+C

(I checked and it is indeed a conservative force)

Please enlighten me
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For a conservative force, the work between two points is independent on the connecting path. Start to integrate from point (0,0) to point P(X,Y).
You can follow the line along the x-axis from x=0 to x=X and then a straigth line parallel to the y-axis from (X,0) to (X,Y). The work done is

[tex]V(0,0)-V(X,Y)=\int_{(0,0)}^{(X,Y)}{ydx+xdy}=\int_{(0,0)}^{(0,X)}{ydx}+\int_{(X,0)}^{(X,Y)}{xdy}[/tex]

As y=0 along the first line, and x=X along the second one, the first integral is 0, the second one is XY.

ehild

solved. thanks

1. What is a potential function?

A potential function is a mathematical representation of a conservative force, which is a force that does not depend on the path taken by an object. It is used to calculate the work done by the force on an object and the potential energy of the object at different positions.

2. How is a potential function related to a conservative force?

A potential function is directly related to a conservative force. It is the negative gradient of the potential energy function, which means that the force can be calculated by taking the negative derivative of the potential function with respect to position.

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Examples of conservative forces include gravity, electrostatic forces, and spring forces. These forces do not dissipate energy and their work is independent of the path taken.

4. How is a potential function useful in physics?

A potential function is useful in physics because it allows us to calculate the work done by a conservative force on an object and the potential energy of the object at different positions. It also helps in predicting the motion of objects in the presence of conservative forces.

5. Can a potential function be negative?

Yes, a potential function can be negative. The sign of the potential function does not affect the physical meaning of the function, as the force is still calculated using the negative gradient of the potential function. However, the potential energy itself is usually defined as a positive quantity.