Potential in parallel plate system from charge density?

In summary, the person is trying to find the potential energy of a charge at a point, but is having difficulty doing so. They have posted their work, but are still having trouble understanding it.
smileandbehappy

Homework Statement

16987125673_015172f5f0_b.jpg

Note - I have used an image here. For the simple reason I don't want to confuse anyone by missing out subscripts. But if that is not acceptable let me know and I will attempt to write it out.

Homework Equations

I have considered using Poissons equation - but couldn't get that to work.

I have also attempted to consider this as a parallel plate capacitor, so: u = 0.5e(o)E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting stuck with this. Annoyingly I think it's probably quite simple - but it's confusing me.

I have drawn a diagram here to understand what is going on, but I don't think I am allowed to post too many photo's. And have no idea how to draw that on a computer.

So I thought I could find the E field magnitude. To do this I could use the boundary conditions. But I am not going from air into a dialectic medium. So I got a bit confused there. I don't think I can say the E=V/d because of the dialectic material - however I do think I can say: E = eV/d

Subsitituting this into the above equation I get:

u = 0.5e(0)(eV/d)^2

Now the change in V is going to be V(0) so:

u = 0.5e(0)e^2V(o)^2/d^2

And I know that charge density = charge/volume

therefore: charge/volume = p(0)/d

But here I get stuck... I am at a bit of a loss. As I've said I think it's probably simpler than I am making it. But some hints would be amazing.

Thanks

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
smileandbehappy said:
I have considered using Poissons equation - but couldn't get that to work.

What were your thoughts on this exactly?

Well as the plates are infinitely long - you are only dealing with d^2x/dx^2 = -p/e

So I tried to integrate this twice to solve the equation - and then applied boundary condition are V(x=0)=0 and V(x=d) = V(o)

But I still have no idea where to go after this...

If you have done things correctly, you then have the potential and there should not be anywhere else to go ...

Orodruin said:
If you have done things correctly, you then have the potential and there should not be anywhere else to go ...

Here is my problem - I am not doing it properly, or not understanding the question then!

I've posted my work below. I can't type that out, as I don't know how to put the differentials in etc... Or the integral signs. But I am not sure how to do get rid of the x. I am failing to understand this badly.

17423993030_a83193ed1f_b.jpg

Basically - I am doing something awfully wrong. I though x=d, but when I do that all I get is V = V(o) which is clearly not what they are after.

Last edited:
Why do you want to put x = d? The coordinate x is perfectly fine as a parameter in your answer as it describes the potential at the point x. Since the problem asks for the potential at any point, the result will generally be a function of the point, in this case x. You have essentially solved the problem without realising that you already have the answer.

Likes smileandbehappy
Thanks on both making me see how stupid I am being - and pointing out how I can use latex. I think I am trying to make a lot of this stuff harder than it has to be... Either that or I'm just a bit thick. But I appreciate you helping me out. So all I need to do now is substitute in the expression for the charge density and I'm good to do.

Thanks again.

smileandbehappy said:
I think I am trying to make a lot of this stuff harder than it has to be...
Some of the most difficult problems are those whose answers are staring us in the face ... :smile:
smileandbehappy said:
So all I need to do now is substitute in the expression for the charge density and I'm good to do.
Yes.

1. What is the definition of potential in a parallel plate system?

Potential in a parallel plate system is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point between two parallel plates. It is a scalar quantity that describes the strength of an electric field.

2. How is potential in a parallel plate system calculated?

The potential in a parallel plate system can be calculated using the equation V = Q/εA, where V is the potential, Q is the charge on one of the plates, ε is the permittivity of the medium between the plates, and A is the area of the plates.

3. What is the relationship between charge density and potential in a parallel plate system?

The potential in a parallel plate system is directly proportional to the charge density on the plates. This means that as the charge density increases, the potential also increases. Similarly, as the charge density decreases, the potential decreases.

4. What is the significance of potential in a parallel plate system?

The potential in a parallel plate system is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and charges. It also allows us to calculate the work done in moving a charge between the plates and determine the direction of the electric field.

5. How does the distance between the plates affect the potential in a parallel plate system?

The potential in a parallel plate system is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the potential decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.