Potential sweep vs current sweep for a Polarization Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for obtaining a polarization curve for a fuel cell and the use of voltage and current measurements. The individual suggests that their equipment only has the option for voltage sweep, while the other person mentions the use of voltammetric methods. The conversation also touches on the importance of voltage drop under load for batteries.
JoJoQuinoa
Hello,

I'm trying to obtain a polarization curve for a fuel cell (two electrodes in HCl). From what I've seen in literatures, current is applied and the voltage is measured. Is it still the same to change the voltage and measure the current instead? For some reason our equipment only have the voltage sweep option.

Thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No, these would be different methods, requiring different hardware.

I admit that's the first time I hear about the "force current, measure voltage" approach. All electrochemical methods I have ever used were variants of voltammetry (vary potential, measure current). From what you wrote voltammetric methods are what your equipment is capable of.

@Borek,

Thank you for your response. That's what I've been doing as well, varying the potential and measuring the current. However, from what I've seen in literatures, voltage is reported as a function of current density. Also, this site here stated it as well.
https://www.fuelcellstore.com/blog-section/polarization-curves

Are you sure it is "current applied" and not "current drawn"?

Voltage drop under load is an important characteristics of any (chemical) battery.

1. What is the difference between potential sweep and current sweep in a polarization curve?

Potential sweep and current sweep are two different methods used to measure the polarization curve of a material. In potential sweep, the potential is varied while the current is measured, while in current sweep, the current is varied while the potential is measured.

2. Which method is more commonly used for measuring polarization curves?

Both potential sweep and current sweep are commonly used for measuring polarization curves. The choice of method depends on the specific experimental setup and the material being studied.

3. What are the advantages of using potential sweep over current sweep?

Potential sweep allows for a more precise control of the potential, which can be useful for studying materials with a narrow potential window. It also allows for a wider range of potential values to be measured compared to current sweep.

4. How does the choice of potential sweep or current sweep affect the accuracy of the polarization curve?

The choice of potential sweep or current sweep does not significantly affect the accuracy of the polarization curve. However, it is important to carefully select the appropriate method for the specific material and experimental conditions to ensure accurate results.

5. Can potential sweep and current sweep be used interchangeably for measuring polarization curves?

No, potential sweep and current sweep cannot be used interchangeably for measuring polarization curves. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice should be based on the specific experimental setup and material being studied.