Solving Potential Theory Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with a problem in potential theory. The equations provided are incorrect and the person helping points out several mistakes and offers corrections. The person asking for help clarifies that they are trying to learn physics and improve their understanding. The conversation also includes some discussion about decoupling the equations for easier solving and a mention of a well-known person in the field of physics. Overall, it is a conversation between two individuals discussing a complex topic and offering assistance and clarification.
Raparicio
Hello,

I have a problem with an exercice of potential theory, and don't know how to continue.

The ecuations are this:

[tex]\Phi {\left ( \nabla \frac{{\partial }}{{\partial t}} + \nabla (c· \nabla) \right ) = {\left ( - \frac{{\partial (c· \nabla)}}{{\partial t}} - \frac{{\partial^2 \epsilon \nabla}}{{\partial^2 t}}\right ) \vec {A}[/tex]

[tex]- \nabla \Phi \mu \sigma + \nabla \Phi \mu \epsilon \frac{{\partial }}{{\partial t}} = \nabla^2 \vec {A} - \left ( \nabla ( \nabla \vec {A}) - \left ( \mu \sigma \frac {\partial} {\partial t} \vec {A} + \mu \epsilon \frac{\partial^2 \vec {A}} {\partial^2 t} \right ) \right ) [/tex]

My question in: is the problem resolved, or I must continue? What must I do to end the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what exactly is your question ? What are you trying to prove here ? Are you trying to rewrite the Maxwell equations in terms of the vectorpotential A and the scalar potential phi ?

regards
marlon

Marlon,u should have told him that the eq.was wrong wrt to mathematics involved.
In the LHS,u have a diff.operator.Because "c=constant",
[tex] \phi(\nabla\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+c\nabla^{2}) [/tex] (1)
In the expression (1),the function on which the operator's acting is missing.
In the RHS:Again,"c" is constant,so th first terms should be
[tex] -\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\nabla\cdot \vec{A}-\frac{\partial^{2}\epsilon}{\partial t^{2}}\nabla\cdot \vec{A} [/tex] (2)
In the second eq.,in the LHS,again u're having the eqlaity between an operator and a fbunch of functions.
In the RHS,u can reduce the laplace-ian of 'A'.
In the first eq.,in the LHS,the missing function should be a vector,but u need to modity it,as the tensor ranks of the 2 diff.operators (nabla & nabla squared is not the same).The tensor rank of the two sides must be equal.
In the second eq.,in the LHS,the missing function is a scalar (again,the tensor rank of the 2 sides must be equal).

Did u make it up??To me it looks like that.

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Marlon,u should have told him that the eq.was wrong wrt to mathematics involved.

Not at all...

In the LHS,u have a diff.operator.Because "c=constant",
[tex] \phi(\nabla\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+c\nabla^{2}) [/tex] (1)
In the expression (1),the function on which the operator's acting is missing.

This is incorrect and incomplete. It is a classical mistake to assume that the term [tex] \nabla (c· \nabla) [/tex] will yield a laplacian. This is however certainly not the case because you need to know on which coordinates the operators will act and on which variable exactly. Besides this is NOT a dot-product, yet this term merely defines a new derivative-operator. This operator is constructed not via the inproduct but via the external vector product, yielding the socalled diade : [tex]A_{i}B_{j} = (AB)_{ij}[/tex]

besides : i never said the equations were right or wrong... :rolleyes:

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
Well, what exactly is your question ? What are you trying to prove here ? Are you trying to rewrite the Maxwell equations in terms of the vectorpotential A and the scalar potential phi ?

regards
marlon

Noooooo... I'm trying to learn Physics, and practising all disciplines. My target is to be more prepared.

If I could do what you say... don't you think my level of mathematics and physics must be more elevated?

Only a student... with a very great ilusion to learn... and Dextercioby is a great master.

Raparicio said:
Noooooo... I'm trying to learn Physics, and practising all disciplines. My target is to be more prepared.

If I could do what you say... don't you think my level of mathematics and physics must be more elevated?

I don't think you got my point. I was not trying to be insulting here. The vectorpotential and scalar potential are indeed used in order to rewrite the Maxwell equations into two coupled differential equations. Via the introduction of the gauge-conditions you can decouple these two equations which makes it a lot easier to solve them. You get two equations : one for V and one for A. There will be no V in the equation for A and the other way around. That is what i mean by decoupling...

The actual decoupling happens via the gauge-transformations that you can introduce because the equations for A and V are NOT unique. So you can add a gradient to A and still keep on doing the right calculations. What i mean is this [tex]B = \nabla \times A[/tex]

But you may as well write (P is a chosen scalar field) [tex]A = A + \nabla P[/tex] Then you get [tex]B = \nabla \times A + \nabla \times (\nabla P)[/tex] then last term in the RHS is ZERO due to the mixed product...

and Dextercioby is a great master.
:uhh: what ever...trust me, even he is not always right and somethimes a bit too willing to correct everybody... :wink:

regards
marlon

marlon said:
This is incorrect and incomplete. It is a classical mistake to assume that the term [tex] \nabla (c· \nabla) [/tex] will yield a laplacian. This is however certainly not the case because you need to know on which coordinates the operators will act and on which variable exactly. Besides this is NOT a dot-product, yet this term merely defines a new derivative-operator. This operator is constructed not via the inproduct but via the external vector product, yielding the socalled diade : [tex]A_{i}B_{j} = (AB)_{ij}[/tex]
marlon

Magister dixit: :tongue2:

Even if so,if it ain't a contracted tensor product (resulting in the scalar laplace-ian),the eq.would still not be balanced:
The Hessian has tensor rank 2 (it's a square matrix,whose trace is the laplace-ian),while the nabla (in the same side) has a tensor rank one.

Daniel.

PS.If i wasn't wrong from time to time,i'd be really boring,right...??

What is the potential theory problem?

The potential theory problem is a mathematical concept used to understand and solve problems related to the flow of electric or fluid currents. It involves finding the potential function, which describes the potential energy of the system at any given point.

What are the steps involved in solving a potential theory problem?

The steps involved in solving a potential theory problem are as follows:
1. Identify the boundary conditions: This involves understanding the physical limitations of the problem and determining the boundary values for the potential function.
2. Formulate the governing equation: This involves using fundamental principles and equations, such as Laplace's equation, to describe the behavior of the system.
3. Solve the equation: This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the problem.
4. Check for consistency: It is important to ensure that the solution meets all the boundary conditions and is physically realistic.
5. Interpret the results: Once the solution is obtained, it is important to interpret and analyze the results to gain a better understanding of the system.

What are some common techniques used to solve potential theory problems?

Some common techniques used to solve potential theory problems include:
1. Method of images: This involves using a series of images to represent the boundary conditions and simplify the problem.
2. Separation of variables: This technique involves breaking down the governing equation into simpler equations that can be solved separately.
3. Finite difference method: This is a numerical method that involves dividing the problem into smaller elements and approximating the solution at discrete points.
4. Green's function method: This technique involves using Green's function to represent the solution of the governing equation.
5. Conformal mapping: This is a mathematical transformation that can be used to simplify the geometry of the problem and make it easier to solve.

What are some real-world applications of potential theory?

Potential theory has numerous real-world applications, including:
1. Electric circuits: The flow of electric current in circuits can be analyzed using potential theory to determine the voltage and current distribution.
2. Fluid dynamics: Potential theory is used to understand and analyze the flow of fluids in pipes, channels, and other systems.
3. Seismology: The propagation of seismic waves can be modeled using potential theory to understand earthquake behavior.
4. Heat transfer: Potential theory is used to analyze heat transfer in various systems, such as engines and heat exchangers.
5. Electrostatics: The behavior of electric charges and fields can be studied using potential theory to understand phenomena such as lightning and static electricity.

What are some common challenges faced when solving potential theory problems?

Some common challenges faced when solving potential theory problems include:
1. Complex geometry: In real-world applications, the geometry of the problem may not be simple, making it difficult to find an analytical solution.
2. Nonlinear equations: The governing equations may be nonlinear, which can make it challenging to find an exact solution.
3. Boundary conditions: In some cases, it may be difficult to determine the appropriate boundary conditions, which can affect the accuracy of the solution.
4. Numerical errors: When using numerical methods to solve potential theory problems, there is always a risk of introducing errors, which can affect the accuracy of the solution.
5. Interpretation of results: Interpreting the results of a potential theory problem can be challenging, especially when dealing with complex systems and multiple variables.