Potentiometer and resistance

In summary, a simple potentiometer with a resistance of 5.0 ohm and a current source of 2.0V can be used to measure an emf of up to 2.5 mV from a copper-constantan thermocouple. A resistor with a suitable value of R should be placed in series in the slide wire. The potentiometer works by yielding a variable potential difference between the end of the slide wire and the sliding contact, with the resistance of the slide wire being Rs and the constant resistance being R. The unknown emf of the thermocouple can be calculated using the formula Emf(unknown) = Emf(battery) Rx / (Rs + R). To achieve an output
thereddevils

Homework Statement

The slide wire of a simple potentiometer has a resistance of 5.0 ohm . The current source for the potentiometer is a cell of emf of 2.0V and of negligible internal resistance . Draw a labelled circuit diagram showing how the potentiometer might be used to measure an emf of up to about 2.5 mV from a copper-constantan thermocouple . Calculate a suitable value for the resistor which should be placed in series in the slide wire .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a diagram (attached) . Let resistance of the resistor be R .

the pd across AJ = pd of thermocouple

[tex]\frac{2}{R+5}(R)=2.5\times 10^{-3}[/tex]

solving that doesn't lead me to the answer .

maybe i made a mistake in calculating the resistance of AJ , do i have to add the resistance of the wire as well , or the resistance is simply R .

Attachments

• potentiometer.bmp
    175 KB · Views: 572
Physics news on Phys.org

The potentiometer is used to yield a variable potential difference between one end of the slide wire and the sliding contact. The ends of the wire are connected into a circuit, so that current I flows through it. The variable potential difference is then

U=IRx

where Rx is the resistance between the terminal and the sliding contact. If the resistance of the slide wire is Rs and R is the constant resistance of a series resistor,

I=Emf(battery)/ (Rs+R).

Rx changes from zero to Rs.

The thermometer is connected in series with a very sensitive ammeter between the end of the slide wire and the sliding contact, and zero current is set by the slide. The unknown emf of the thermocouple is equal to

Emf(unknown)=IRx=Emf(battery) Rx/(Rs+R).

Try to draw the circuit. You need an output voltage that varies between 0 to 25 mV. The Emf of the battery is 2 V, Rs=5 ohm, what should be the series resistance R?

ehild

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that is used to vary the resistance in a circuit. It consists of a resistive track with a sliding contact, allowing for adjustable resistance.

2. How does a potentiometer work?

A potentiometer works by adjusting the position of the sliding contact on the resistive track. This changes the amount of resistance in the circuit, which can then be measured and used for various purposes, such as controlling the brightness of a light or the volume of a speaker.

3. What is the difference between a potentiometer and a variable resistor?

A potentiometer is a type of variable resistor, but it has three terminals instead of two. The third terminal is connected to the sliding contact, allowing for variable resistance. A variable resistor typically only has two terminals and the resistance is adjusted by physically turning a knob or dial.

4. How do you measure the resistance of a potentiometer?

The resistance of a potentiometer can be measured using a multimeter. Connect the multimeter to the two outer terminals of the potentiometer and adjust the sliding contact to the desired position. The multimeter will then display the resistance value.

5. What are the common uses of potentiometers in scientific experiments?

Potentiometers are commonly used in scientific experiments for tasks such as adjusting voltage, controlling the speed of motors, and measuring the position or displacement of objects. They are also used in electronic circuits for tasks such as volume control, dimming lights, and temperature control.