Potentiometer values and ratings

He is also curious about why there is a resistor in parallel and wants to know the wattage rating for the potentiometer. He also asks if it is possible to find a potentiometer that can function without the resistor. The conversation also mentions the color coding of resistors and the possibility of using a metal film resistor.
655piano
Hello everyone. I need to replace this potentiometer. I an not sure how to comprehend these values. Also, I don't understand why there is a resistor in parallel. What is the wattage rating and is it possible to get a potentiometer that can operate correctly without that resistor?
1449295930910-431069408.jpg
14492960958442030756293.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
200 ohms 5% Not sure what the L0.5 means.
http://www.widap.ch/fileadmin/pdf/Dokumentation_aktuell_2014/Englisch/Register_10/10_1_10-12_e_Single_turn_precision_wire-wound_potentiometers_714.pdf

The resistor doesn't make sense if its red brown brown black black (brown or gold?)
If its brown black black brown gold red then it could be 100 X 10 5% 50ppm/K

http://www.1728.org/resisclr.htm

Can you tell us what the colors actually are?

(EDITED a bunch)

yeah its a 6 band metal film resistor

655piano said:
Also, I don't understand why there is a resistor in parallel.

They obviously didn't have access to a pot of the correct value, or there wasn't one manufactured for the value they wanted
that they made their own oneDave

Likes billy_joule

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that allows for variable resistance in a circuit. It typically consists of a resistive track and a movable contact, which can be adjusted to change the resistance in the circuit.

2. What are the different types of potentiometers?

There are several types of potentiometers, including linear, logarithmic, and rotary. Linear potentiometers have a linear relationship between the position of the movable contact and the resistance. Logarithmic potentiometers have a logarithmic relationship, and rotary potentiometers have a circular resistive track.

3. What do the values on a potentiometer mean?

The values on a potentiometer refer to its resistance rating and tolerance. The resistance rating is the maximum amount of resistance that the potentiometer can provide, while the tolerance refers to the acceptable range of resistance for the potentiometer. For example, a 10kΩ potentiometer with a 10% tolerance can have a resistance between 9kΩ and 11kΩ.

4. How do I determine the appropriate potentiometer value for my circuit?

The appropriate potentiometer value for a circuit depends on the desired range of resistance and the current flowing through the circuit. You can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the necessary resistance, keeping in mind the tolerance of the potentiometer. It is also important to consider the power rating of the potentiometer to ensure it can handle the current in the circuit.

5. What is the difference between a potentiometer's power rating and voltage rating?

A potentiometer's power rating refers to the maximum amount of power it can safely handle without overheating or damaging the component. The voltage rating, on the other hand, refers to the maximum voltage that can be applied across the potentiometer without causing it to breakdown. It is important to consider both ratings when selecting a potentiometer for a circuit.