Poverty Rate in US Rises to 12.7 Percent

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
in 2001 we had an economic crisis here in argentina. in a period of 2 months poverty increased from 25% to 50%, we have a population of 35.000.000. With your theory ron damon, i gues that in 2 months 875000 people decided togheter they wanted to be poor..

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I think he's addressing poverty in the US. Not to say that he's right, but bringing in examples from other countries doesn't do anything for this particular thread. "US" is in the title, after all.

Edit: Just to be fair to Ron, also, I think we can assume that he will grant that, during times of crisis at least, there will be causes of poverty other than human laziness, even in the US.

Burnsys said:
in 2001 we had an economic crisis here in argentina. in a period of 2 months poverty increased from 25% to 50%, we have a population of 35.000.000. With your theory ron damon, i gues that in 2 months 875000 people decided togheter they wanted to be poor..
The Argentinian debacle is an entirely different situation, which involves macroeconomic mishandling and a political class that is corrupt to the bones.

loseyourname said:
I think he's addressing poverty in the US. Not to say that he's right, but bringing in examples from other countries doesn't do anything for this particular thread. "US" is in the title, after all.

Edit: Just to be fair to Ron, also, I think we can assume that he will grant that, during times of crisis at least, there will be causes of poverty other than human laziness, even in the US.
What I'm addressing are more long-term phenomena like the backwardness of the Mezzogiorno, or the East German economic freeze after reunification.

Also, labeling it as "laziness" is an extreme mischaracterization. What it involves is the problem of why some groups of humans are able to effectively transform the world to their advantage, while others remain like deers caught in the headlights, utterly unable to advance their own happiness and self-realization, even while others under similar or worse conditions zoom ahead.