Yearly Income from 2.12E9 W of Energy at 1.8 Cents/kW-hr

In summary, the yearly income for the utility company from selling 2.12x10^9 W of energy at an industrial rate of 1.8 cents per kW-hr would be $93,856. However, the units may be tricky as the energy production is 2.12x10^9 per second, resulting in 2.12x10^6 kW-hr per hour. Omitting the division by 3600 may lead to the correct answer.
Rasine
If the utility company sold 2.12x10^9 W of energy that they produced every second at an industrial rate of 1.8 cents per kW-hr, what would be their yearly income from this source? Give your answer in dollars.

so what i was doing is this...i was converting from W-s to kW-hr

2.12E9 W-s x kW/1000w x 1hr/3600s=588.89 kW-s

then i found how many hrs in a year 1 yer x 365days/1yer x 24hr/1day=8760

then i took the product of the two to find the amount of energy produced hourly per year which i got 5158676.4

then i multipied that by $.018 (1.8 cents)

but my answer was wrong

please tell me what is not right

Physics news on Phys.org
Was your answer like $92856. I think the units are tricky here. The energy production is 2.12x10^9 per second. Notice "per" . Which means every hr it produces 2.12x10^6 kw-hr.

Last edited:
yes that is what i got

so try omitting the division by 3600, and see if it is correct per the logic in my first post.

1. What is the yearly income from 2.12E9 W of energy?

The yearly income from 2.12E9 W of energy can be calculated by multiplying the power (2.12E9 W) by the number of hours in a year (8,760 hours). This results in an annual energy production of approximately 18,595,200,000,000 watt-hours (or 18.6 trillion watt-hours).

2. How is the yearly income affected by the cost of energy?

The yearly income is directly affected by the cost of energy. In this scenario, the cost of energy is 1.8 cents per kilowatt-hour (kW-hr). This means that the yearly income would be approximately $334,714,400 (18.6 trillion watt-hours x $0.018/kW-hr).

3. Is the yearly income affected by the efficiency of the energy production?

Yes, the yearly income is affected by the efficiency of the energy production. If the energy production is not 100% efficient, the actual yearly income will be lower than the calculated amount. For example, if the energy production is only 90% efficient, the yearly income would be approximately $301,243,960 (18.6 trillion watt-hours x $0.018/kW-hr x 0.9 efficiency).

4. How does the yearly income compare to other forms of energy production?

The yearly income from 2.12E9 W of energy is high compared to other forms of energy production. For example, the average annual income for a wind turbine is around $200,000, while a hydroelectric dam can generate up to $2 million in revenue per year. However, the yearly income from solar energy can vary greatly depending on location and efficiency.

5. Can the yearly income be increased?

Yes, the yearly income can be increased by either increasing the amount of energy produced or by increasing the cost of energy. This can be achieved through technological advancements, increased efficiency, or adjusting the cost of energy based on market demand. Additionally, implementing energy storage systems can also help increase the yearly income by allowing for energy to be stored and sold when demand is higher and prices are higher.