Solve Power Problem Math: Average Rate of Consumption & Area Needed

• Thread starter verd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the average rate of electrical energy consumption in watts in the United States is 3.17x10^11 W. If the population of the United States is 260 million, the average rate of electrical energy consumption per person is 1.22 kW/person. The sun transfers energy to the Earth by radiation at a rate of approximately 1.0 kW per square meter of surface. If this energy could be collected and converted to electrical energy with 40% efficiency, how great an area (in square kilometers) would be required to collect the electrical energy used by the United States?
verd
So this isn't a typical power problem... But I'm stuck on a simple mathematical section of the problem. I've gotten most of it right, but am just getting stuck on the last section-- which is worded a bit strangely-- atleast for me.

So here it is:

The total consumption of electrical energy in the United States is about 1.0*10^{19} joules per year.
a.) What is the average rate of electrical energy consumption in watts?
b.) If the population of the United States is 260 million, what is the average rate of electrical energy consumption per person?
c.) The sun transfers energy to the Earth by radiation at a rate of approximately 1.0 kW per square meter of surface. If this energy could be collected and converted to electrical energy with 40% efficiency, how great an area (in square kilometers) would be required to collect the electrical energy used by the United States?

Okay, so... I got part a and b correct, with the following answers:
a.) 3.17×1011 W
b.) 1.22 kW/person
And I know these are correct because they were automatically graded-- Now... I'm having difficulty with part c of the problem-- It's just difficiult to understand, for the most part. I'm not quite sure at all what to do.

...I have to use one of the two values, either or, that I got in the first two sections, to yield a result for part c. ...So I take the 1.22 KW/person, multiply that again by 260,000,000, and get 3.172x10^{8}. I need to find the total area that the in km^{2}, that this would cover, given the 40% efficiency rate-- ...So, I multiply 3.172x10^{8} by 2, and then add a half-- then multiply by 1000. And I get the wrong answer. Which I had a feeling I was going to get. Hah.

I'm just severely confused here. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem lies in the efficiency. It is stating that even though 1.0 kW/m^2 is radiated to the Earth, only 40% of that number is useful in this case. That means that .4 kW/m^2 is what you should use as the radiation rate from the sun. So what area do you have to multiply that radiation rate by to get the power requirement of 3.17x10^11 W? You will then have to convert that answer from m^2 to km^2...

Wow... great. I get it. Yeah-- now that I'm looking at it it, it does seem a bit more obvious, with the percentage and all. Turns out that I was getting the right answer after all-- just wasn't yet converted into km^2

Thank you.

Related to Solve Power Problem Math: Average Rate of Consumption & Area Needed

1. What is the average rate of consumption?

The average rate of consumption refers to the amount of power that is used or consumed over a certain period of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW) per hour.

2. How is the average rate of consumption calculated?

The average rate of consumption is calculated by dividing the total energy consumed (in watts or kilowatts) by the total time it took to consume that energy. This can be represented by the formula: Average rate of consumption = Total energy consumed / Total time.

3. What is the relationship between average rate of consumption and area needed?

The average rate of consumption and the area needed are directly related. The higher the average rate of consumption, the larger the area needed to accommodate that power usage. This is because more energy is being consumed and therefore more space is required for power generation or storage.

4. How can the average rate of consumption be reduced?

The average rate of consumption can be reduced by using more energy-efficient devices and appliances, implementing energy-saving practices, and utilizing renewable energy sources. This can help decrease the amount of power used and therefore reduce the average rate of consumption.

5. Why is it important to consider the average rate of consumption when solving power problems?

The average rate of consumption is an important factor to consider when solving power problems because it directly impacts the amount of power needed and the resources required to meet that demand. It also plays a role in determining the cost and sustainability of power usage. By understanding the average rate of consumption, more efficient and effective solutions can be developed to address power problems.