Calculating Rate of Climb for Beech Bonanza V-Tailed Aircraft

In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the rate of climb for a Beech Bonanza V-tailed aircraft with a True airspeed of 110 knots. The equation being used is R/C = (excess power)/weight, but there is confusion about the calculation for power required for level cruise and the use of units. It is clarified that 1 HP = 550 ft Lbf/sec and the correct answer for power required is 68.3 HP.
ranger1716
OK, I have a question regarding this homework that I have to complete about power and airspeed.

I have a beech bonanza v-tailed aircraft and I need to calculate rate of climb in ft/min with a True airspeed of 110 knots. (110 knots = 185.7 ft/s)

I am using R/C= (excess power)/weight My problem is that when I found the power required for level cruise at the same speed as above, I got a huge number because I did PR=Thrust required x Velocity (200.3 lbs x 185.7ft/s)

This going to give me a negative number for my excess power. The power plant is capable of 345 hp at sea level.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm calculating only 67.6 HP for cruise. Where did your huge number come from?

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used the equation I described above and multiplied by 60 in order to get ft lbs/min.

:confused:

[tex]PR = TV[/tex]
[tex]PR = (200.3 Lb_f)(187.5 \frac{ft}{sec})[/tex]
[tex]PR = 37556.3 \frac{ft*Lb_f}{sec}[/tex]

Use the relationship that [tex]1 HP = 550 \frac{ft Lbf}{sec}[/tex]

That leaves [tex]PR = 68.3 HP[/tex]

Why are you multiplying by 60?

oh ok...that makes total sense. I was multiplying by 60 to try and convert the units, but now I can see how to get the answer. I didn't use that relationship that you gave.

Thank you!

What is the concept of lift in aerodynamics?

The concept of lift in aerodynamics refers to the force that is generated by the movement of air over an airfoil, such as a wing. This force is perpendicular to the direction of the airflow and allows an aircraft to stay aloft.

How does the shape of an airfoil affect lift?

The shape of an airfoil, particularly its curvature or camber, plays a significant role in generating lift. A curved or cambered airfoil creates a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces, resulting in lift.

What is the relationship between angle of attack and lift?

The angle of attack is the angle at which an airfoil meets the oncoming airflow. As the angle of attack increases, so does the amount of lift produced. However, if the angle of attack becomes too steep, the airfoil may stall, resulting in a decrease in lift.

How does air density affect lift?

Air density, which is affected by factors such as altitude and temperature, plays a significant role in lift. As air density decreases, there is less air available for an airfoil to generate lift. This is why aircraft must fly at higher speeds and/or use longer runways at higher altitudes.

What is the difference between lift and thrust in aerodynamics?

Lift is the force that keeps an aircraft in the air, while thrust is the force that propels an aircraft forward. In order to maintain level flight, an aircraft's lift must be equal to its weight, and its thrust must be equal to its drag.