1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power question for aero class

1. Apr 2, 2006 #1
    OK, I have a question regarding this homework that I have to complete about power and airspeed.

I have a beech bonanza v-tailed aircraft and I need to calculate rate of climb in ft/min with a True airspeed of 110 knots. (110 knots = 185.7 ft/s)

I am using R/C= (excess power)/weight My problem is that when I found the power required for level cruise at the same speed as above, I got a huge number because I did PR=Thrust required x Velocity (200.3 lbs x 185.7ft/s)

This going to give me a negative number for my excess power. The power plant is capable of 345 hp at sea level.

What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

I'm calculating only 67.6 HP for cruise. Where did your huge number come from?
  4. Apr 3, 2006 #3
    I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used the equation I described above and multiplied by 60 in order to get ft lbs/min.

5. Apr 3, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

[tex]PR = TV[/tex]
    [tex]PR = (200.3 Lb_f)(187.5 \frac{ft}{sec})[/tex]
    [tex]PR = 37556.3 \frac{ft*Lb_f}{sec}[/tex]

Use the relationship that [tex]1 HP = 550 \frac{ft Lbf}{sec}[/tex]

That leaves [tex]PR = 68.3 HP[/tex]

Why are you multiplying by 60?
  6. Apr 3, 2006 #5
    oh ok.....that makes total sense. I was multiplying by 60 to try and convert the units, but now I can see how to get the answer. I didn't use that relationship that you gave.

Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?