Power Requirement for Fire Hose in Urban Areas

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinkybear
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fire Hose Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
pinkybear
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A fire hose for use in urban areas must be able to shoot a stream of water to a maximum height of 35 m. The water leaves the hose at ground level in a circular stream 3.5 cm in diameter.
What minimum power is required to create such a stream of water? Every cubic meter of water has a mass of 1.00*10^3 kg.


Homework Equations


P=W/t
W=Fd
V(of cylinder)=pi*r^2*h


The Attempt at a Solution


r=.0175m
v=pi*(.0175)^2*35
=.033674 m^3 then, mass= 33.67kg
w=(33.67)*g*35=11550 N
but then I'm stuck because I don't know what t is...
I tried v=v(0)+at, from which I got
P=m*a^2*D/v(0)
but now, I don't know how to get v(0)...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good down to the point where you put 35 m into the formula for volume. You do need to work with some definite amount of water, but I think a much smaller amount would be better. I would pick a small time - say one second or one tenth of a second - and figure out how much water is squirted in that time. You could just figure out how much energy it has when it reaches the maximum height. The power calc should then be easy.