Power series Representation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the first four nonzero terms of a power series for the derivative of a given function, centered around x=2. The derivative can be found by taking the derivative of the given power series and plugging in x=2. The reason why it is automatically centered around x=2 is because it follows from the definition of a power series.
nfcfox

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/12LbqWL

Part b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it says the first four terms, not nonzero, the first four terms would be 0-(1/3-0)+2/9(x-2)-1/9(x-2)^2
I'm confused when it says I need to find these for x=2... Do I just plug in x=2 now and those four terms are them? Those won't be terms they'll be numbers. I'm assuming that the series is already centered at x=2 as that's why is says (x-2)^n so if that's the case, finding f'(2) would be to use the equation for geometric series so A/(1-R) but the first term is 0. Did they mean to say the first four nonzero terms? If someone can confirm this that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
They want you do write out the derivative ##f'(x)## in the same way as the series you got in the problem, the first four terms and then the general term. After that you should plug in x=2.

Likes SammyS
alivedude said:
They want you do write out the derivative ##f'(x)## in the same way as the series you got in the problem, the first four terms and then the general term. After that you should plug in x=2.
First four nonzero terms?

nfcfox said:
First four nonzero terms?

That is what I would do.

alivedude said:
That is what I would do.
So is the power series already centered about x=2 when I take the derivative??

nfcfox said:
So is the power series already centered about x=2 when I take the derivative??

Well, ##f(x)## is defined by the power series, which is expanded around ##x=2##. So taking the derivative of the power series would be to take the derivate of ##f(x)## and its derivative would indeed be a new power series that is indeed expanded around ##x=2## and have the same radius of convergence as ##f(x)## itself.

EDIT: If you look at what you write in your attempted solution I think you can see that the derivative takes to form of a power series.

alivedude said:
Well, ##f(x)## is defined by the power series, which is expanded around ##x=2##. So taking the derivative of the power series would be to take the derivate of ##f(x)## and its derivative would indeed be a new power series that is indeed expanded around ##x=2## and have the same radius of convergence as ##f(x)## itself.

EDIT: If you look at what you write in your attempted solution I think you can see that the derivative takes to form of a power series.
Right but I guess my question is why is it automatically centered around x=2.

nfcfox said:
Right but I guess my question is why is it automatically centered around x=2.

Because it follows from the definition of a power series, i'll show you a general case with a power series expanded around some point ##x=c## and its derivate

##
f(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(x-c)^n
##

let us now take the derivate of this, its a sum so the derivate of the whole thing is just the sum of the derivates of each term. We have that

##
f'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} na_n(x-c)^{n-1}
##

We can now see that ##f(x)## and ##f'(x)## is indeed power series and they are both expanded around ##x=c##. I don't think that it could get any clearer than this.

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each term being a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. It is a useful tool for approximating functions and solving differential equations.

2. How is a power series representation used?

A power series representation is used to approximate functions, especially those that are difficult to integrate or differentiate. It can also be used to solve differential equations, as well as to find the values of functions at certain points.

3. What are the properties of a power series representation?

The properties of a power series representation include convergence, radius of convergence, and interval of convergence. Convergence refers to the values of x for which the power series representation is valid. The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series where the series converges. The interval of convergence is the range of values of x where the series converges.

4. How do you determine the radius of convergence for a power series representation?

The radius of convergence can be determined using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken. If this limit is less than 1, then the series converges, and the radius of convergence can be found by taking the reciprocal of this limit.

5. What are some real-world applications of power series representations?

Power series representations have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and approximate physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the behavior of a circuit. In economics, power series representations are used to model economic growth and inflation. They are also used in statistics to represent probability distributions.