1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Practicing Free Body Diagrams & improve problem solving skills

1. Jul 24, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I once considered myself enough to be decent enough to solve some problems but lately I'm thinking to revisit and start solving problems again. I would like to know whether there is a book good which has problems (starting from basic to tough ones) for practicing free body diagrams.
    The book should also have ample illustrations of FBD's. My approach is to getting better at drawing FBD's is that I would first look at worked out problems and then go to unsolved ones.
    Also are there any books, strategies or resources which can improve problem solving skills in general?
    I would be thankful if you can point me to good books or resources having these characteristics. Any other advice to help getting better at drawing FBD's is also welcome.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jul 24, 2015 #3
    I would like to share some simple suggestions for you: 1) Read the letter of the problem twice. 2) Make a list of the numerical data that the letter provides. 3) The first thing you must do to trace the FBD is draw a cartesian coordinate system and choose the positive direction of the axes. After you represent all the forces applied to the objet, you need to decompose those that aren't collineal with the axes. When you add all the forces in one axis, you should associate a positive sign to those who have the same direction that the positive direction of the axis, and a negative sign to those who have the contrary direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted