Precalculus: proving trigonometric identity

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the equation tan(1+cos(x))^2 = 1-cos(x) using various trigonometric identities, but encountering difficulties and questioning whether it is even possible to prove it. It is pointed out that the equation is not an identity and cannot be solved for all values of x.
jessicagu93

Homework Statement

prove that: tan(1+cos(x))^2 = 1-cos(x)

Homework Equations

trig identities, like the pythagorean, sum/difference, double/half angle identities, power reducing identities, etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure where to start; i tried using the pythagorean identity where 1+tan(X)^2 = sec(x)^2, but couldn't get anywhere after that :\

then i used my calculator and made X a random number. i typed in the left side expression, and pressed enter. i then typed in the right hand expression, and pressed enter. the two values were different. what did i do wrong?
i'm not really sure anymore that its even possible to prove the above...

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. It's not an identity. Just put x=0. Then you don't even need a calculator. Must be some mistake here.

If I'm write you want to write [tex]tan(1 + cos x)^2[/tex] = 1 - cos(x). I think it is not possible to prove because if cos (x) is zero then [tex]{tan}^2{1}[/tex] is not equal to 1. Even if the equation is [tex]tan(1 + {cos}^2{x})[/tex] then also you can't prove it. I think, the problem is not to prove but to solve.

Related to Precalculus: proving trigonometric identity

What is precalculus and why is it important?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of functions, graphs, and algebraic concepts. It is important because it serves as the foundation for advanced math courses such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions and identities. It is used to simplify complex expressions and solve trigonometric equations.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate and simplify one side of the equation until it is equivalent to the other side. This can be done by using known trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulations, and properties of trigonometric functions.

What are some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities?

Some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities include using reciprocal, quotient, and Pythagorean identities, converting all trigonometric functions to sine and cosine, and using double angle and half angle formulas.

Why is it important to understand and be able to prove trigonometric identities?

Understanding and being able to prove trigonometric identities is important because it helps in solving more complex problems in trigonometry and other branches of mathematics. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions and their properties.