Calculating Error in s for Free Fall Lab Experiment

• Thread starter quicknote
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precision
In summary, the total error in the position (s) measurement in a free fall lab experiment can be calculated by taking into account the reading error (+/- 0.02cm) and the error in the metal scale (1 part in 4000) in quadrature, resulting in a total error of 0.02cm. However, it is important to consider whether the time measurement depends on the metal scale measurement, as the error in the metal scale may be too small to have a significant contribution to the overall error in the time measurement.
quicknote
I am measuring the position of photogates in a free fall lab experiment.

The question is:
What is the error in s in terms of reading error? Now add in the error in the metal scale, a precision of one part in 4000, in quadrature to give an expression for the total error in s.

My reading error is +/- 0.02cm.
I'm confused about 'adding in the error in the metal scale, 1 part in 4000'.
Does this mean 1/4000 = 0.00025?

If so then would my total error would be [tex] \sqrt{0.00025^2 + 0.02^2} [/tex] =0.02 ... I don't think this makes much sense :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One calculates an error in a value by taking into account the errors in the variables that the particular value depends on. So my question is do the time measurement depend on the measurement on the metal scale? If so what are the smallest divisions on the metal scale? It is most likely that the error in this variable is so small then that it has virtually no contribution to the error in the time measurement anyway. If the time value do not depend on the measurement on the metal scale it could not have any effect on the error in the time value and should not be included in the error calculation.

I understand your confusion regarding the calculation of error in your free fall lab experiment. Let me explain the process in detail to help you better understand the concept.

Firstly, the reading error of +/- 0.02cm is the uncertainty in your measurement of position using the photogates. This means that the actual position could be anywhere within a range of +/- 0.02cm from the recorded value.

Now, for the metal scale, the precision of one part in 4000 means that the scale is divided into 4000 equal parts, and the smallest division represents 1/4000 of the total length. This translates to an uncertainty of 0.00025cm in each measurement.

To calculate the total error, we need to combine these two sources of error using the principle of quadrature. This means taking the square root of the sum of squares of the individual errors. In this case, the total error would be:

\sqrt{0.00025^2 + 0.02^2} = 0.0200000625cm

This may seem like a small value, but it is important to consider the relative magnitude of the error in relation to your measurements. In this case, the total error is still within the range of +/- 0.02cm, which is significant when compared to the scale of your measurements.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of calculating error in your free fall lab experiment. It is important to always consider and account for sources of error in scientific experiments to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.

1. What is the formula for calculating error in s for a free fall lab experiment?

The formula for calculating error in s for a free fall lab experiment is: error = (1/2)g(t2 - t02) where g is the acceleration due to gravity, t is the time for the object to fall, and t0 is the initial time when the object was released.

2. How do you determine the value of acceleration due to gravity in a free fall lab experiment?

The value of acceleration due to gravity can be determined by plotting a graph of distance vs. time for the falling object and calculating the slope of the line. The slope will be equal to g/2 and can be used to calculate the value of g.

3. What factors can contribute to error in a free fall lab experiment?

There are several factors that can contribute to error in a free fall lab experiment, including air resistance, human error in timing the fall, and variations in the initial height of the object.

4. How can you minimize error in a free fall lab experiment?

To minimize error in a free fall lab experiment, it is important to ensure that the experiment is conducted in a controlled environment with minimal air resistance. The timing should also be done carefully and consistently, and multiple trials should be conducted to reduce the impact of human error. It is also important to use precise equipment and measure the initial height of the object accurately.

5. Can error ever be completely eliminated in a free fall lab experiment?

No, error can never be completely eliminated in a free fall lab experiment. However, by following proper experimental procedures and minimizing potential sources of error, the accuracy of the results can be improved.