Precision Temperature Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the most precise way to log temperature in a laboratory, with a focus on resolution and precision rather than accuracy. The use of RTDs is not satisfactory due to their limited resolution of 0.1 deg C. The substance being measured is aqueous solutions at under 100 deg, and any method is acceptable but contact methods are preferred. The temperature changes slowly in a large volume of liquid, with concerns about the probe's thermal properties affecting the accuracy. Book recommendations for precision temperature measurement techniques are also provided.
fsonnichsen
What is the most precise way to log temperature in the laboratory? I am concerned with resolution and precision here, not accuracy.
RTDs don't seem to cut it. Almost all that I have looked at and tried only have a resolution of around 0.1 deg C. I was hoping for 10X better than that-
Thanks
Fritz

Science news on Phys.org
What is the substance/object you are trying to measure? Is this a contact temperature measurement, or non-contact? If it is a contact measurement, how do you keep the thermal properties of the probe from altering the temperature of the subject?

What is the environment? How quickly can the temperature of the subject change?

I am trying to keep this somewhat open but usually I am measuring the temperature of aqueous solutions at under 100 deg.

Any method is OK but I assume contact methods would be more accurate.

The temperature changes rather slowly in a large volume of liquid-in most cases it is in a constant temperature bath.
Regarding the probe thermal properties is always problematic and I have even seen RTDs carry heat down their wiring. However if the probe circuit is itself reasonably temperature stabilized this can be minimized. Again I am mainly interested in changes (resolution, precision) and not calibrated accuracy.

Thanks for the good questions
Fritz

Likes berkeman
There is a good discussion of precision temperature measurement techniques in Measurement Systems, Application and Design, 4th Edition, by Ernest O. Doebelin. I see that Amazon has a 6th Edition of this book for the dirt cheap price of $28.00 (International Edition). It's a bargain at five times that price.

Another good book with information on temperature measurement is Applied Measurement Engineering, by Charles P. Wright.

Both of these books would be good additions to your library. Doebelin has more information relevant to your specific application, so get it first. Wright complements Doebelin, and should be in the library of anybody making precise measurements.

Likes berkeman
Thank you for the book suggestions. I will certainly order Doebelin.

1. What is precision temperature measurement?

Precision temperature measurement is the process of accurately determining the temperature of an object or environment using specialized instruments and techniques. This is typically done with a high degree of accuracy and repeatability, often at a resolution of fractions of a degree.

2. What are some common instruments used for precision temperature measurement?

Some common instruments used for precision temperature measurement include thermocouples, resistance temperature detectors (RTDs), thermistors, and infrared thermometers. These instruments vary in their measurement principles and are suited for different temperature ranges and applications.

3. How is precision temperature measurement different from regular temperature measurement?

Precision temperature measurement involves using instruments and techniques that are specifically designed for achieving a high level of accuracy and repeatability. Regular temperature measurement, on the other hand, may involve less precise instruments or methods and is often used for general monitoring or control purposes.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of precision temperature measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of precision temperature measurements, including the quality and calibration of the instrument, the stability and uniformity of the environment being measured, and any sources of interference or error in the measurement process.

5. What are some common applications of precision temperature measurement?

Precision temperature measurement is used in a wide range of applications, including scientific research, industrial processes, medical and healthcare, environmental monitoring, and quality control in manufacturing. It is also essential for ensuring the safety and accuracy of many everyday products and devices, such as food and beverage products, electronic devices, and automobiles.