Pressure and temprature measurement in a tiny cylinder

In summary, the speaker is conducting a theoretical experiment involving a small tank filled with salted water and a bit of air. They are looking for suitable sensors to measure the pressure and temperature changes as a 200 (C) pulse is applied to the system for a short duration of 20 micro-seconds, causing some of the water to change phase into gas. The speaker is currently considering using an infrared temperature sensor and piezoelectrics for pressure measurement. However, there is some concern about the potential danger of the experiment and the lack of clarity in the speaker's plans.
Amit Segal
Hey everybody!

as part of a project i need to solve this problem:

i have a small closed (50 mm height, 5 mm radius) tank made of PMMA fiiled mostly by salted water and a bit air. the water get a 200 (C) pulse for a very short time of 20 micro-seconds and start to transform into gas (there is a phase change). i need to measure the pressure and the temprature as a function of the height of the tank and time?

whice sensors can be suitable for me?

thank you!

Amit

Engineering news on Phys.org
It was difficult to find a good home for this question - EE seems to fit best. If someone here has a better idea please mention it.

Nothing will happen and there will be no pressure or temperature change to measure ?

In any case how do you inject a temperature pulse of 20 micro seconds into the container ? What process are you actually describing ?

Note : This reply moved from a duplicate thread .

Likes russ_watters and jim mcnamara
this is a theoretical experiment.
the pulse is really hige and the dimensions of the tank are small enough that there will be change in temprature and some of the water will change phase to gas.
i need to find a sensor that can sample the process at least every 10 (micro-sec) because i don't want to lose information about what happening while the pulse is still active. right now i am trying to find infra red temprature sensor that will measure from outside the tank on the internet, but it is not that easy.
about the pressure, i have no idea where to start from.

Amit Segal said:
about the pressure, i have no idea where to start from.
Start by investigating piezoelectrics.

Likes Amit Segal
Amit Segal said:
200 (C) pulse
You are "pulsing" temperature? With zero/infinite heat capacity? You can apply power to the system, but not a temperature.

Likes russ_watters
Thread locked because there seems to be too much unclarity and too much potential danger in the OP's plans.

Last edited:
Likes Nidum

What is pressure and temperature measurement?

Pressure and temperature measurement refers to the process of quantifying the amount of force exerted by a gas or liquid in a confined space (pressure) and the degree of hotness or coldness of a substance (temperature) using scientific instruments.

How is pressure measured in a tiny cylinder?

Pressure in a tiny cylinder can be measured using a pressure gauge or transducer. The gauge uses a diaphragm or spring to convert the pressure into a mechanical displacement, which is then converted into a numerical value. A transducer, on the other hand, uses electronic sensors to directly convert pressure into an electrical signal.

What is the relationship between pressure and temperature in a tiny cylinder?

According to Boyle's Law, the pressure and temperature in a tiny cylinder are inversely proportional. This means that as the temperature increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is also known as the ideal gas law.

What factors can affect pressure and temperature measurements in a tiny cylinder?

There are several factors that can affect pressure and temperature measurements in a tiny cylinder, including the type of gas or liquid being measured, the accuracy and calibration of the measuring instruments, and external factors such as altitude and atmospheric conditions.

How can pressure and temperature measurements in a tiny cylinder be used?

Pressure and temperature measurements in a tiny cylinder are essential in many scientific and industrial applications. They can be used to monitor and control processes, ensure safety in high-pressure systems, and provide data for scientific research and analysis.