Calculate Pressure Gauge Reading in Wide Section of Pipe

In summary, the problem involves water flowing through a horizontal pipe that narrows smoothly. A pressure gauge in the narrow section reads 47.0 kPa and the goal is to find the pressure reading in the wide section. Using the equation F=PA, the force was found by converting the flow rate and calculating the area of each opening. However, this was incorrect and conservation of mass and Bernoulli's equation were needed to find the correct solution.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

Water flows at 3.64 L/s through a horizontal pipe that narrows smoothly from 10.2 cm diameter to 4.89 cm diameter. A pressure gauge in the narrow section reads 47.0 kPa. What is the reading of a pressure gauge in the wide section?

Homework Equations

F=PA

P1+ [tex]\rho[/tex]gh+0.5*[tex]\rho[/tex]V2=P2+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh+o.5*[tex]\rho[/tex]V2

The Attempt at a Solution

so first thing i did was convert 3.64L/s to 3.64x10-3 m3/s
and then found the area of each part of the opening. since they tell me the gauge reading at the narrow end (4.89cm) i used F=PA to find the force. using this force and the area of the wide end (10.2cm) i got a P. this was wrong..can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brunettegurl! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ :wink:)

I'm confused … what does force have to do with it? :confused:

Use conservation of mass to find the speeds, and then use Bernoulli's equation :smile:

thanks i realized that after i redid what i did

1. How do you calculate the pressure gauge reading in a wide section of pipe?

The pressure gauge reading in a wide section of pipe can be calculated using the equation P = (h x d x g) / (4 x l), where P is the pressure in pounds per square inch (psi), h is the height of the liquid in inches, d is the density of the liquid in pounds per cubic inch (lb/in³), g is the gravitational constant (32.2 ft/s² or 386.4 in/s²), and l is the length of the pipe in inches.

2. What is the significance of a wide section of pipe in pressure gauge readings?

A wide section of pipe can affect pressure gauge readings because it can lead to changes in flow velocity and friction losses, which in turn can impact the pressure reading. It is important to take into account the width of the pipe when calculating pressure gauge readings to ensure accuracy.

3. How does the density of the liquid affect pressure gauge readings in a wide section of pipe?

The density of the liquid plays a significant role in pressure gauge readings in a wide section of pipe. A denser liquid will exert more pressure on the walls of the pipe, resulting in a higher pressure gauge reading. This is why it is important to accurately determine the density of the liquid when calculating pressure gauge readings.

4. What is the gravitational constant and how does it impact pressure gauge readings in a wide section of pipe?

The gravitational constant, denoted as g, is a physical constant used to measure the gravitational acceleration of an object near the Earth's surface. In the context of pressure gauge readings in a wide section of pipe, the gravitational constant is used to account for the weight of the liquid and its impact on the pressure exerted on the walls of the pipe.

5. What are the common units of measurement for pressure gauge readings in a wide section of pipe?

The most common units for pressure gauge readings in a wide section of pipe are pounds per square inch (psi) and inches of water column (inH2O). However, other units such as kilopascals (kPa) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg) may also be used depending on the specific application.