Why does fluid pressure decrease with higher density in narrow pipes?

In summary, the conversation discusses observations made while playing with Fluid Pressure and Flow on PHET animations. It is noted that when a fluid with high flow rate moves from a large pipe to a small pipe, the pressure increases with lower density and decreases with higher density in the narrow part of the pipe. The speaker's intuition is that higher density should result in higher pressure with other variables constant, but this is not the case. The conversation suggests looking into Bernoulli and Navier-Stokes equations to understand this further. It also mentions that density is typically assumed to be constant in pipe flow discussions.
Lurker_Letum
So I was playing around with Fluid Pressure and Flow over on PHET animations and noticed something odd. When a fluid with high flow rate is going from a large pipe to a small pipe a lower density increases the pressure. And a higher density lowers the pressure in the narrow part of the pipe. My knowledge would say that the higher the density the higher the pressure with other variables constant.

Was wondering if some one could let me know if this is a software issue or could point me in the right direction to read about this a bit more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Lurker, :welcome:

Your intuition is correct:
Lurker_Letum said:
with other variables constant
so just follow it up with the logical conclusion that there must be something else not constant. The velocity, for instance.

Read up on Bernoulli and Navier-Stokes.

I'm not really sure what you mean by higher or lower density in this case. Usually when discussing pipe flow like that the density is assumed constant. Do you have a link to what you were viewing?

Likes russ_watters

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is caused by the molecules of the fluid colliding with the walls or surfaces it comes into contact with.

2. How is fluid pressure measured?

Fluid pressure is typically measured using a device called a manometer, which consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a fluid (such as water or mercury) and connected to the fluid being measured. The difference in height of the fluid in the two arms of the manometer is a measure of the fluid pressure.

3. How does fluid pressure affect flow rate?

According to Bernoulli's principle, as fluid pressure increases, the fluid's velocity decreases. This means that higher fluid pressure will result in a slower flow rate, while lower fluid pressure will result in a faster flow rate.

4. What factors affect fluid pressure and flow?

The factors that affect fluid pressure and flow include the type of fluid, its density, the shape and size of the container or pipe it is flowing through, and the velocity of the fluid.

5. How is fluid flow affected by changes in pressure?

Changes in fluid pressure, such as an increase or decrease, can affect the direction and speed of fluid flow. This is because the flow of a fluid is driven by differences in pressure. For example, a decrease in pressure will result in a faster flow rate, while an increase in pressure will result in a slower flow rate.