Solving 700N + 98N Weight Distribution Problem

In summary, a person weighing 700 N and riding a 98 N mountain bike has a combined weight of 798 N, which is supported equally by the two tires. If the gauge pressure in each tire is 7.55 x 10^5 Pa, the area of contact between each tire and the ground is 1.06 x 10^-3 m^2, as calculated using the equation P = F/A. However, the answer may vary depending on whether the question is referring to the area of contact between each tire and the ground or both tires and the ground.
BoogieL80
I'm working on the following problem:

<i> A person who weighs 700 N is riding a 98 N mountain bike. Suppose the entire weight of the rider and bike is supported equally by the two tires. If the gauge pressure in each tire is 7.55 105 Pa, what is the area of contact between each tire and the ground?<i>

The equation that I'm trying to incorporate is P = F/A where P equals pressure, F equals perpendicular force and A equals area. So I figured that since the tires are supporting the entire weight of the bike and man, the combined force that would be used in this problem would be 798N. So I rearranged the formula to equal A = F/P. So I said 798N / 7.55E5 N/m^2 would equal 1.06E-3m^2. Of course webassign says that my answer is incorrect. Any constructive help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"each tire and the ground" , not "both tires".

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. It is important to remember that the gauge pressure in each tire is equal to the total weight supported by the tire divided by the area of contact. In this case, the total weight supported by both tires is 798N, so dividing that by the given gauge pressure of 7.55E5 N/m^2 gives an area of 1.06E-3m^2 for each tire.

One possible reason for the incorrect answer could be a rounding error. Make sure you are using the exact values given in the problem and not rounded values. Another possible reason could be a unit conversion error. Double check that all units are consistent (i.e. using meters for length, Newtons for force, etc.).

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is correct and it is important to carefully check for any errors in calculation or unit conversions.

1. How do I solve the 700N + 98N weight distribution problem?

To solve this problem, you need to first determine the total weight by adding 700N and 98N, which equals 798N. Then, divide the weight by the number of objects to get the weight of each individual object. In this case, there are two objects, so dividing 798N by 2 gives us a weight of 399N for each object.

2. What is the formula for solving weight distribution problems?

The formula for solving weight distribution problems is weight = mass x gravity. This formula takes into account the mass of the object and the gravitational force acting upon it.

3. How does weight distribution affect stability?

Weight distribution plays a crucial role in the stability of an object. If the weight is evenly distributed, the object is more likely to remain balanced and stable. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, the object may tip or topple over.

4. Can weight distribution be adjusted?

Yes, weight distribution can be adjusted by redistributing the weight of objects or by adding or removing weight from certain areas. This can be done to improve stability or to properly distribute weight for a particular purpose.

5. What are some common applications of weight distribution?

Weight distribution is commonly used in engineering and construction to ensure structural stability. It is also important in transportation, such as in the distribution of weight on an airplane or in the loading of a truck. Weight distribution is also important in sports, such as in balancing weight on a barbell or in distributing weight on a race car for optimal performance.