Pressure in pipe and find leakage

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a pipeline consisting of two pipes, one 100mm and one 150mm in diameter. The pipeline is shaped like a square and there is a discussion about the pressure and flow rate throughout the pipeline. The person is trying to determine the pressure difference caused by a leak in the 100mm pipe and is considering different scenarios and calculations to find the solution. There is also mention of a simulation for monitoring the pipeline using sensors and a PLC.
darren000
Could someone please help me with this??

I am working on a problem with 2 pipes, one 100mm and one 150mm in diameter. The shape of the pipeline is a square. half is 100mm pipe and the other half is 150mm pipe.

1.If entire pipeline is filled with water, no leak and no supply, is pressure the same through out the pipeline?

2. If no supply, and there is a leak point on the 100mm pipe at a rate of 1 L/min. what formula should I use to calculate the pressure difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you could be more clear on how the pipeline looks I think I could be able to help but I do not know what the pipeline looks like at all...

Thanks for your reply WillemBouwer.

The pipe network is attached. As you can see, water comes in from supply and goes out to E if all other outlet are shut off.

1. My first approach is to find Leak 1 and Leak 3 by closing A and C. Then flow rate in - flow rate out = flow rate leak. Is my though correct? I assumed leak 1 and leak 3 are minor leaks.

2. Known Leak 3 and Leak 1, I will close B and open A,C,D and assume no other leaks exist. Then I can measure leaks on the left side of A if they are opened.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track or not.
Thanks You. Appreciated.

Attachments

• 12-10-2012.pdf
    551.7 KB · Views: 245
If there is no leak and no flow the pressure will be the same, if there is flow theoretically the pressure in the 150mm pipe will be larger but the speed in the 100mm pipe wil be more. If it is a long pipeline the friction will account for some pressure losses if there is flow, which can be calculated using the Hazen-Williams equation.
Yes that thought process will be correct for that specific piece of the pipeline... However, if you open A and B simultaneously what will the flow in both the pipelines be? Is this a real live scenario? If it is, just take a measuring bucket and let the leak flow into the bucket for one minute and see what the volume of the water is... This is the most accurate approach you can have...

Thanks for your reply.

I assume if both A and B opens water will flow both ways, I will update on this tomorrow.
This is for simulation purpose. Connecting all the sensors to PLC and monitor them through a display.

Best Regards

1. What is pressure in a pipe?

Pressure in a pipe refers to the force exerted by a fluid against the walls of the pipe as it flows through it. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How is pressure in a pipe measured?

Pressure in a pipe can be measured using a pressure gauge, which is typically attached to the pipe at a specific point. The gauge will display the pressure reading, which can then be recorded and analyzed.

3. Why is it important to monitor pressure in pipes?

Monitoring pressure in pipes is important because it can indicate potential leaks or blockages in the pipe system. Changes in pressure can also affect the performance and efficiency of the system, so it is important to maintain proper pressure levels.

4. How can pressure in a pipe help identify leaks?

If there is a decrease in pressure along a pipe, it could indicate a leak or hole in the pipe. This is because the pressure of the fluid will decrease as it flows out of the pipe through the leak. By monitoring pressure levels, it can help identify the location of a leak and allow for quick repairs.

5. What are some methods for finding leaks in pipes?

Some methods for finding leaks in pipes include using pressure gauges, visual inspections, and specialized leak detection equipment such as ultrasonic sensors or infrared cameras. Pressure testing and flow monitoring can also be effective in identifying leaks in pipes.