Pressure and Resultant Force in a Closed System

In summary: Objects A and B move down and C remains stationary because the buoyant force on them decreases when pressure is applied to the membrane. Object C is rigid and does not move because the buoyant force on it is the same no matter what the pressure is.
leena19

Homework Statement

Figure shows cross sections of three hollow objects two of which have openings closed with a soft rubber membrane R ,and the other without an opening just floating inside three bottles of water labelled A,B and C.(sorry I've missed the labels in the diagram.A,B and C are the bottles starting from left to right)
When an excess pressure is applied to the air above the water surface in all three bottles by pressing their mouths with hands as shown,what change can be observed in the positions of these objects?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2817/35445.png"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first,I thought all three objects would move down.and object B would move down more than object A and C , but the answer says,
Object A and Object B moves down and object C remains stationary.

I think I understand why object C remains stationary cause (I'm not sure but)I guess the excess pressure gets uniformly distributed throughout the liquid and since the object is symmetrical,the force acting on it on all sides would be equal and cancel off ,so the resultant force acting on C would be zero?

But if that were true shouldn't A move sideways? cause the force acting on the membrane would be less and so the resultant force acting on A would force the object to move to the right,maybe?

Please explain to me where I'm going wrong.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Initially, the objects float because the buoyant force on them matches their weights and the net force is zero.

When pressure is applied and the membrane is pushed inward, objects A and B displace less fluid than before, therefore the buoyant force decreases and they sink. Object C is rigid and displaces the same amount of fluid no matter what the pressure is. Therefore the buoyant force on C is the same as before so it keeps on floating.

All sideways forces cancel because they are equal and opposite at opposing sides at the same depth.

I understand now.
Thank you very much!

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area. It is a measure of how much force is acting on a given area.

2. What causes pressure?

Pressure is caused by the collision of particles with a surface. The more collisions that occur, the higher the pressure will be.

3. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. This can be represented by the formula P = F/A.

4. What is the unit of pressure?

The SI unit of pressure is the pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to one newton per square meter. Other common units of pressure include atmospheres, pounds per square inch, and bar.

5. What is the difference between pressure and resultant force?

Pressure is a measure of force per unit area, while resultant force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. Pressure can be thought of as a localized effect, while resultant force takes into account all forces acting on an object.