1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure Velocity Help

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    Hello, I've got this questions and I just cannot solve it.

Assuming laminar in compressible flow. How long would it take to fill up a 1m^3 box from a pipe 15mm in diameter at 1.5 bar of pressure?

I would really appreciate it if someone could solve for me, show and explain the working because I'm completely lost. Thank you.

So far this is what I have got, this is not my strong area this so please excuse me if its complete rubbish!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/13076783_10206132363644489_6864425099277240298_n.jpg?oh=d9b5d787e07260e82d1e4b6f30e9231b&oe=57A36783

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not clear to me whether the given pressure is absolute or gauge pressure. Makes a big difference.
    In your answer for v you have the wrong units, and later you have the wrong units for the mass flow rate.
    Other than that, what you did looks right.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Overall not a great attempt then haha. Like I said, this is not my area, trying to use maths I've not been near in 2/3 years. Thanks for the heads up though, Ill go back through it and try again.

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It was a good effort - the basic reasoning was fine. The units provide a clue for troubleshooting is all.
    ie. You have density of water D as 1000 ... that would be 1000g/L which is 1g/cm^3 or 10000kg/m^3 and you wanted velocity to come out in units of m/s.
    P in the same equation is in units of Pa = N/m^2 = kg/(m.s^2) ... see how the units of mass don't go away? So you cannot get a volume flow rate from ##v=\sqrt{2P+D}## unless something special has happened. Where did you get it from?

I also don't think there is enough information provided in the problem statement to solve it ... you'll have to go outside the problem for extra information.

Have you seen:
    See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pfric.html
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/127760/calculation-of-pressure-from-flow-rate-of-water

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree it is hard to read, but I believe it is a division sign, ##\div##

7. Apr 25, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh it's supposed to be: $$v = \sqrt{\frac{2P}{D}}$$ ... that works out yeah.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted