Learn How to Calculate Fill Time in Compressible Flow | Pressure Velocity Help

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, this person has some trouble with the math, and does not provide a clear problem statement. They provide a summary of the content, and suggest looking for extra information outside of the problem.
JayeOFarrell
Hello, I've got this questions and I just cannot solve it.

Assuming laminar in compressible flow. How long would it take to fill up a 1m^3 box from a pipe 15mm in diameter at 1.5 bar of pressure?

I would really appreciate it if someone could solve for me, show and explain the working because I'm completely lost. Thank you.

So far this is what I have got, this is not my strong area this so please excuse me if its complete rubbish!
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/13076783_10206132363644489_6864425099277240298_n.jpg?oh=d9b5d787e07260e82d1e4b6f30e9231b&oe=57A36783

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me whether the given pressure is absolute or gauge pressure. Makes a big difference.
In your answer for v you have the wrong units, and later you have the wrong units for the mass flow rate.
Other than that, what you did looks right.

Overall not a great attempt then haha. Like I said, this is not my area, trying to use maths I've not been near in 2/3 years. Thanks for the heads up though, Ill go back through it and try again.

It was a good effort - the basic reasoning was fine. The units provide a clue for troubleshooting is all.
ie. You have density of water D as 1000 ... that would be 1000g/L which is 1g/cm^3 or 10000kg/m^3 and you wanted velocity to come out in units of m/s.
P in the same equation is in units of Pa = N/m^2 = kg/(m.s^2) ... see how the units of mass don't go away? So you cannot get a volume flow rate from ##v=\sqrt{2P+D}## unless something special has happened. Where did you get it from?

I also don't think there is enough information provided in the problem statement to solve it ... you'll have to go outside the problem for extra information.

Have you seen:
See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pfric.html
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/127760/calculation-of-pressure-from-flow-rate-of-water

Simon Bridge said:
√2P+Dv=2P+Dv=\sqrt{2P+D}
I agree it is hard to read, but I believe it is a division sign, ##\div##

Oh it's supposed to be: $$v = \sqrt{\frac{2P}{D}}$$ ... that works out yeah.

What is pressure velocity help?

Pressure velocity help is a concept used in fluid mechanics to describe the relationship between pressure and velocity in a fluid flow. It helps scientists and engineers better understand and analyze fluid dynamics.

How do pressure and velocity affect each other in a fluid flow?

In a fluid flow, an increase in velocity leads to a decrease in pressure and vice versa. This is known as the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases.

What are some real-world applications of pressure velocity help?

Pressure velocity help is used in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and hydraulic systems. It is also crucial in understanding weather patterns, ocean currents, and air traffic control.

How is pressure velocity help calculated?

Pressure velocity help is calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity and pressure at two different points in a fluid flow.

What are some limitations of pressure velocity help?

While pressure velocity help is a useful concept, it has some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible and has a constant density, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account factors such as viscosity and turbulence.